volvo penta 8.1 litre, with slight tapping engine noise

tonyscolbalt

Recruit
i am new to the site, i have a 2006 Cobalt 250 with a volvo penta engine, it is 8.1L Gi-G (8.1 litre, Gas Fuel Injected) 375HP. it only has 26 hours on it and runs great. i had the oil changed the other day and the person (he wasnt a full time boat mechanic) noticed a tapping or clicking noise when it is idling and the engine cover is up (when cover is down you cant hear it). the noise reminds me of the old days (1960's) when some cars had mechanical lifters and they would tap when out of adjusment. i would really appriaciate any thoughts/comments that you may have about this noise being something normal or something BAD. thx

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: volvo penta 8.1 litre, with slight tapping engine noise

I would keep the engine cover down, so you won't hear it. . .

Most likely, just as you said, it is a valve (rocker arm) that is slightly out of adjustment. Not normal and not bad either. it happens once in a while. best to get it adjusted properly.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Are we sure we aren't hearing the NORMAL sounds of injectors clicking away?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

BTW...
Unless Volvo ordered the engines with different heads than standard GM (which I doubt), Gen 5 and 6 big block Chevys have non-adjustable rockers in standard factory trim.

tonyscolbalt

Recruit

I would keep the engine cover down, so you won't hear it. . .

Most likely, just as you said, it is a valve (rocker arm) that is slightly out of adjustment. Not normal and not bad either. it happens once in a while. best to get it adjusted properly.

thanks for the fast reply, sure hope that is all it is, seems like ti could be...again thx for your info.

tonyscolbalt

Recruit

BTW...
Unless Volvo ordered the engines with different heads than standard GM (which I doubt), Gen 5 and 6 big block Chevys have non-adjustable rockers in standard factory trim.

Rodgers, thank you very much for your two responses, very helpful. you may be right about the noise possibly being the "injectors clicking away". I have zero experiece with fuel injection, and the boat is new to me, so i dont have a baseline of how it is supposed to sound normally. I only noticed it when the oil change guy mentioned the sound, his comment was "i dont know, this noise could be normal for a vovlo penta, but i thought i mention it to you". i will continue to monitor for any other thoughts, and also pursue this "injecotr clicking" line of thinking.