volvo 270 slips but still spins prop

Zach_92

Recruit
My bayliner capri with a volvo 4cyl and a 270 outdrive goes into gear but when the engine revs out to about 5k rpm the boat only goes about 8-10 mph i just got the boat and am a little more familiar with pre alpha mercruisers. When the engine is off and i put it in forward gear the prop nearly free spins by hand when i turn it forward but if i try to rotate it backwards by hands it locks in and will turn the motor over so not sure if its the cone clutch, shifter linkage or what. Again im completely new to volvos and not exactly a master mechanic so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo 270 slips but still spins prop

Sounds to me like a spun propeller hub. Can you tra another prop?

Zach_92

Recruit

I took the prop off today and the shaft still spins almost free in the forward direction when.its in forward but not backward so i took the cover off for the shifter adjustments and it seems like the shifting mechanism is in a bind even when i unhooked the cable so im not really sure where to go from here is it a problem actually in the gears in the lower drive or is it possibly something on top?

captmello

Captain

So, if I understand, with the motor off, and with the outdrive shifted into forward, the prop spins one direction, and won't spin in the other direction? That is normal.