volvo penta sterndrive 275 drained oil from outdrive and came out MILKY help me!

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice
hi, i have a volvo penta 275 sterndrive. i always change the oil in the outdrive myself every year also changing the drain/dipstick and air pocket screw orings and never having a problem. this spring the bellows needed to be changed as they both had holes in them. so i had a marine mechanic change them along with the gimbal bearing (came with kit) and had the mechanic also change the outdrive oil. i pulled boat out to service for winter and drained the outdrive oil noticing for first time milky oil. i noticed that the drain plug screw was not as tight as i usualy tighten it though it was snug. the dipstick, drain hole and air pocket screw ORINGS seemed to have no wear< i change them every year when servicing>. also where the orings sit seemed to be clean as oring lays flat. i did not notice and performance change either the 6 months the boat was in fresh water. questions....>>if bellows job was not done properly or bellows have cracks, holes etc...could water enter the drive through the bellows and mix with outdrive oil? if there is a leak, what are the steps to determine which seal needs to be changed? please help out thanks> btw the boat is a 1987 bayliner ciera 2450 with a aq225e engine and 275 outdrive........result i have done the pressure test and the drive holds 10 psi for aprox 15 mins and looses pressure after aprox 15 mins very slowly.....problem is i am not able to hear any hissing noise and identify where the leak is coming from? what should i do next. (please note i have not done a vaccumm test) could anyone tell me where this drive could leak water? i know the prop shaft seal and the upper gear housing seal? where else would it leak?

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo penta sterndrive 275 drained oil from outdrive and came out MILKY help m

welcome.

It sounds like you have more than one problem.

Welcome!

Firstly, do not take the boat back to the mechanic you used. There is no gimble bearing in your transom shield, and no "kit". The bearings in your boat are flywheel bearings or PDS Bearings. Your V8 uses the two bearing flywheel which requires that the engine be pulled to replace. Did the mechanic pull the engine?

Secondly, yes, if water enters the bellows, it can then get into the outdrive. A pressure/vacuum test of the outdrive is the best way to locate the leak, but it may just be the leaky bellows. You'll need to pull the upper gear box. Its easy to do.

Here's how

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/outdrive-side-pin-removal-309095.html

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice
Re: volvo penta sterndrive 275 drained oil from outdrive and came out MILKY help m

welcome.

It sounds like you have more than one problem.

Welcome!

Firstly, do not take the boat back to the mechanic you used. There is no gimble bearing in your transom shield, and no "kit". The bearings in your boat are flywheel bearings or PDS Bearings. Your V8 uses the two bearing flywheel which requires that the engine be pulled to replace. Did the mechanic pull the engine?

Secondly, yes, if water enters the bellows, it can then get into the outdrive. A pressure/vacuum test of the outdrive is the best way to locate the leak, but it may just be the leaky bellows. You'll need to pull the upper gear box. Its easy to do.

Here's how

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/outdrive-side-pin-removal-309095.html

thanks for your reply..... i would like to start with vacuum/pressure test.... where can i buy this machine ? i live in canada/toronto...?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First thing to do is check the bellows for water. That's one of the most common places for water to get in.

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

i did the pressure test and it holds pressure for about 10 mins looses it slowly. i cant hear where the leak is coming from. i am aware a water leak is (milky oil) could come from the prop shaft seal and the upper gear housing seal?....bellows are new this year....i inspected them...and pulled them off..they are dry.....no signs of wear or cracks............what should i dod (note i have not done a vaccum test as i dont have the tool) though definately there is a leak if its not holding 10 psi) what next??? help

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

how do i check the bellows if water is gettin in? the boat is now on the trailer?

Don S

Just disconnect the bellows from the drive and see if any water comes out.

Did you drain the gear lube before doing the pressure check?

With the drive empty, pressureize it to about 15 psi and spray soapy water on everything and see where it bubbles. You will have to remove the prop and the back cover to check things.

When you had the bellows off, did you pull the drive or just remove the upper gear box?

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

the mechanic did it... but i realize they dont care............ they did change the bellows as i saw the old ones all cracked and new one were installed..... at no time did the upper gear box come off the drive......all that was changed were the bellows. they took the drive off to change the bellows and charged me 700.00 which now i realize they ripped me off when i could of done it myself for less than 100.00. i did drain the oil before engaging the pressure test. what are the proper steps to remove the upper gear box....? (volvo 275) based on research i have done ... i will remove the helmet.....remove back cover and disconnect linkage from upper gear case. undue bolts on each side disconnecting upper gear case from intermediate case.....disconnect driveshaft bellow.... and then pull the upper gear case back ?? does that sound right?,,,,,what do i inspect? what needs to be changed after that?

captmello

Captain

I posted the link to instructions to remove the upper gear box in post #2.

However, I would follow Don's recommendations and continue with the pressure testing to try to locate the leak.

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

i did as you said........ no water in the bellows pulled them off and both dry(new 6 months ago).... the pressure and vacuum test both failed.... once pressured to about 15 psi...i sprayed soapy water everywhere and found the leak...... it came from behind the cover.. i also noticed when i took the cover off leftover milky oil....everywhere..and a hiss sound......the leak is coming from gearbox where a plate is installed with four bolts and a rod with a cotter pin is found. what needs to be changed and do i use any type of sealants also what needs to be cleaned...looks simple according to work shop manual but would like your advice...please and thanks.

Don S

Assuming you are referring to the shift mechanism on the back of the upper gear box, that is another very common place for Volvo drives to leak. Just make sure you get the new seal in the proper way and you should be good to go. The outer diameter of the new OEM seals are coated with a sealer, if not, a very thin coat of Locktite 271 *(Red high strength) is what you should put on it before pressing it in.
Use grease on the seal. Do a pressure check after.
Before you take it apart, drain the old oil, put a quart of oil, the rest diesel fuel in the drive, and run on muffs for 5 minutes to get rid of the moisture. Then fill the drive up with 30w oil and run it for a while, change if necessary to clean it up.
Then change the seal, drain the drive and re- pressure check to make sure that was the only leak.

Fill with new 30W oil and go boating.

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

if seal does not come with loctite then would i apply loctite on both sides of the seal? also what do you mean by use grease on the seal? where do a apply grease and what kin of grease? sorry if i ask too many questions though im sure you understand, i like to do the job the correct way!