Help! I am stuck. Literally. Trim hydraulic hoses stuck at block on transom.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The 4 hoses come out of a block up near the upper bellows, and there is a single nut holding that block on. I need to pull that block off so that I can free up my hoses. They are galded into the holes. I got one off, but the threads are shot, I will need to replace that block and all the hoses, now.

This is a 3" or so square metal object where all four hydraulic hoses come out on their way to the trim cylinders.

Once I pull that one nut off, will that block come off? What is behind it?

Cannot find this item in any of my books.

scooper77515

Re: Help! I am stuck. Literally. Trim hydraulic hoses stuck at block on transom.

Where do you find all these manuals!!!

That helps TREMENDOUSLY!

It wiggles, so I assumed it came out, but did not want to force it. Now that I know there is an O-ring back there, I am back in business!

You DA MAN, Don-O!!!

scooper77515

Re: Help! I am stuck. Literally. Trim hydraulic hoses stuck at block on transom.

How about a manual page that describes how to bleed the system once I get the new hoses on and top off the fluid?

I know on cars, you just go full chock each way a couple of times, but not sure if it works like that on the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Run it up and down a few times and keep the reservoir full. It's self bleeding.

scooper77515

Thanks! :D

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please let us know how you get on, as I bought 4 new hoses to replace the set that had chafed on the transom shield of my 1999 SX-M drive. Like you I found that I could not get the hoses out of the manifold. I stopped when I read the little sentence "to gain access to the hoses on the engine side first remove the engine"!!
As a temporary fix I wraped spiral plastic (for keeping wires tidy) around the hoses and have now done 2 seasons, but I will have to remove the manifold some day!

scooper77515

So far, I have the manifold out of the hole, and only the new hose that I put on yesterday will come off. Going to have to hit it with vice-grips to get the rest off. They are galled on, I assume by bi-metallic electrolysis??? (had a lot of issues with electrolysis with my old Seadoos, with stainless bolts put into aluminum holes. The manifold appears to be cast, and I have no idea if you get a similar issue with stainless-to-cast, or whatever material the hydraulic hose ends are made of.)

I will yank the entire manifold off if I can get the lines off the back, and put it on a vice and see if I can get those hoses loose. I have a sneaky feeling I will be replacing the manifold, and possibly all the hoses, unless I can clean the threads up in there a touch so the new hoses go on without any issue.

The next one will have some sort of anti-seizing compound added to the threads before assembly.

scooper77515

Good News!!!

The inside two hoses (inside engine bay) are NOT galled! and came right off no problem. So now I have the manifold on the workbench to do some metallic surgery...

scooper77515

OK, had to buy a vise, so it took me a while to complete this job.

The manifold IS aluminum, therefore, the issue IS aluminum-stainless electrolysis.

I had to use vice grips to get the hoses out, and they took some of the threads out of the manifold in the process. Pics show the old hoses (2003 model, so not really all that old) and the cleaned up manifold.

I did not have the correct sized tap but I had some hardened bolts from the rear differential carrier on my project car that are WAY harder than the aluminum, so I put anti-seizing compound on them and slowly went in and out 1/4 turn at a time, cleaning the threads until I was able to go all the way in and out with my fingers. (could not find my can of lapping compound, maybe a good thing, as it may have eaten more of the threads out). They look pretty good and the new hoses go on nice and easy now. I had already purchased the two lower hoses, so I will now have to order the upper two, reassemble with anti-seize compound so they will come apart in the future, and put them back on the boat.

Attachments

• hydhoses.jpg
    hydhoses.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 3
  • hydmanifold.jpg
    hydmanifold.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3

Don S

reassemble with anti-seize compound so they will come apart in the future, and put them back on the boat.

Ever-sieze as we in the marine industry call it, will guarantee they will never come apart again. Worst possible thing you could use.
Some good ole Permatex 3D gasket sealer works wonders.

You really need a new manifold, the threads are gone in your old one.

scooper77515

You are the second person who has said anti-seize will freeze it up!

I trust permatex products. I just need SOMETHING in there to keep the electrolysis at bay.

The threads are not as bad as they look in the picture. I am pretty sure I can reuse the manifold. Will try to save the $300 if I can...

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your manifold looks in much better condition to mine after 14 seasons of use in salt water here in the Med.
Pleased that you had no problems removing the two internal hose fittings, I'll be doing mine over this winter.
On the never seize subject, many of the automotive products contain copper. Aluminium, Stainless and Copper make a brilliant combination for electrolysis.

scooper77515

Well, got the outdrive painted since we have such nice weather. Still waiting for one more hydraulic hose to come in from Volvo (tomorrow?) then reassemble, and pray for a warm day to take the boat back out!!!

I have messed with the manifold a bit more, and feel confident that the threads are in good enough shape to hold up to another round of electrolysis/galvanic corrosion, unless the permatex or whatever I end up using prevents further corrosion.

Can't seem to find the 3D anywhere except online.

Don S

Can't seem to find the 3D anywhere except online.

Every auto parts store knows what Permatex aviation form a gasket is. My have their own brand of it, but they have it an know what it is.
Even the kids.

scooper77515

Yeah, we all know what it is, but the cheesy stores I have been to (begins with A, and ends with Zone!) don't have it in stock.

Might try a NAPA or other store.

permatex is silicon based so it doesnt conduct electricity where anti-seize type products are metalic based. on a cold joint where you do not want electrolysis then permatex will stop the rot. it wont do anything to repair it but it will help to stop it. dont get none on the bull nose of the connector as its not a high pressure sealer. small amount rubbed into the threads works well

scooper77515

Glenn (with permission from Pam), your description makes perfect sense! Thanks for the feedback.

Still, can't find 3D. Will search better stores tomorrow...

scooper77515

It all went back together and works GREAT!!!

First attempt at removing the outdrive, swapping bellows, etc. and I have to admit that it is a lot of work, but not very difficult.

Also painted the outdrive and fixed some small corrosion areas while I had it off.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well done and thanks for the update. You now know how easy it is to pull the outdrive, it sould be done each season to check alignment and grease the u joint and gimbal bearing. I renew the upper belows every 3 years and the exhaust one after 5 years.