Volvo 4.3 GL starter problems or ?

likeg

Cadet
I have a 4.3 gl in a 98 Larson. Last time I had the boat out it ran fine as it always has, I was pulling kids on tube and shut off boat to pull the kids in. When I shut off the motor it "dieseled" for a few seconds and died. That was the first time the motor ever "dieseled" when shut off. When I tried to start the motor it would not turn over, the starter would click or the spin but not engage. I got home replaced the battery with another one I had on hand and got the same result. Figured at this time it was the starter and replaced it. When I replaced the starter the motor turned over slowly for about 3-5 seconds and then nothing. I then changed batteries to one that is good and fully charged and the motor turned over for a few seconds, but it sounded that the starter was having to work extremely hard to turn the motor over. I know for a fact the battery used is good. Then after that nothing, the starter would only click or spin again. I then tried to turn the motor over by hand with a socket on the flywheel and could not turn it at all without using an extreme amount of force. I decided against trying to turn it over this way and break something making the situation worse. I am now thinking about pulling all the plugs and trying to turn the engine over to see if it will turn with no compression. I still have the original starter and am not convinced that it is bad since I have bench tested the starter and it appears to be OK. any ideas?

also no water in oil as seen when pulling dipstick
Did not overheat, at least guage was fine and alarm did not go off.:confused:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo 4.3 GL starter problems or ?

I've read that VP modified their exhaust at some point in time to prevent water from being forced up into the exhaust and then into the engine due to an abrupt stop and shutdown of the engine, but I don't know what year that was. I know that it was a problem with mercruisers when the exhaust flaps fail - but VP's don't have the flaps from what I understand.

Based on your symptoms I'm concerned you might have a water intrusion issue. The failure to crank could be due to the water in the cylinders having no where to go when the piston comes up. Don't attempt to start it anymore and instead pull the spark plugs and look for water in the cylinders as a first step.

Others will soon post up and likely tell you what it is.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the plugs and see if it cranks normal, and see if any water came out of the engine.
Normally when an engine gets water in the cylinders it won't turn over at all, it hydrolocked with water. If it does start turning, the valves then open and the water escapes. At least most of it.
If there is no water in the cylinders, pull the drive and see if it cranks over normal or not.
Have you made sure all the battery cables are in good shape (both ends, and both positive and negative cables), make sure they are clean and tight on the battery with real nuts and a wrench, not wing nuts and slightly snug :facepalm:
I have seen cable ends ready to fall off the cable and the customers think that was not a problem.

likeg

Cadet

I've read that VP modified their exhaust at some point in time to prevent water from being forced up into the exhaust and then into the engine due to an abrupt stop and shutdown of the engine, but I don't know what year that was. I know that it was a problem with mercruisers when the exhaust flaps fail - but VP's don't have the flaps from what I understand.

Based on your symptoms I'm concerned you might have a water intrusion issue. The failure to crank could be due to the water in the cylinders having no where to go when the piston comes up. Don't attempt to start it anymore and instead pull the spark plugs and look for water in the cylinders as a first step.

Others will soon post up and likely tell you what it is.

Thanks Augoose for the reply,

I was really worried about having some type of internal problem. I hope not but when I could not turn it by hand my 1st thought was oh s+++.

likeg

Cadet

Pull the plugs and see if it cranks normal, and see if any water came out of the engine.
Normally when an engine gets water in the cylinders it won't turn over at all, it hydrolocked with water. If it does start turning, the valves then open and the water escapes. At least most of it.
If there is no water in the cylinders, pull the drive and see if it cranks over normal or not.
Have you made sure all the battery cables are in good shape (both ends, and both positive and negative cables), make sure they are clean and tight on the battery with real nuts and a wrench, not wing nuts and slightly snug :facepalm:
I have seen cable ends ready to fall off the cable and the customers think that was not a problem.

Thanks Don,

My plan is to pull the plugs this week and see what happens. All cables/wires are is good condition, all terminals connections to starter are tight. NO corrosion or rust, one could eat off this engine if one so desired.

Don S

If there is water in the cylinders, do you want it setting in there rusting the cylinder walls, rings, valves, etc. for a few days while you think about it? Get the plugs out ASAP and check for water. If there is water, crank it over with the plugs out and squirt some oil in the plug holes to help stop the rust.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

X2 on what Don said. The quicker you can get in there and get the water out and coat the bare metal with some oil (if there is water) the better off you'll be. Good luck, lets hope its something small

likeg

Cadet

' QUOTE=Don S;4019601]If there is water in the cylinders, do you want it setting in there rusting the cylinder walls, rings, valves, etc. for a few days while you think about it? Get the plugs out ASAP and check for water. If there is water, crank it over with the plugs out and squirt some oil in the plug holes to help stop the rust.[/QUOTE]

Don,

Its too late for that, this happened 6 weeks ago at the end of our season at the local lake. If that is the problem I'm sure I have quite a bit of rust now. What are my options if that is the case? I tried the starter right after it happened and decided to leave it until it cooled down (central Cali weather 95-100+). I rebuilt cars, motors, etc, but never really messed with boats until now. I did pull the stern drive off and replace bellows, etc about 2 years ago with no problem.
Don't want to pull motor, but if it has to be done then it looks like the no project winter I had planned just went to hell in a hurry. Thanks for your help.

Don S

Its too late for that, this happened 6 weeks ago at the end of our season at the local lake.

A boat engine is a Chevy 4.3 engine with a marine cam, brass core plugs, and a lot of electrical and fuel system parts that are marine rated so you don't blow yourself up.

With 6 weeks of rust from water (not antifreeze like a car), what do you think the options are?

likeg

Cadet

Pretty much knew already, but never hurts to ask. I wont panick until I pull the plugs and get a look, but I'm pretty sure what i am going to find. update you when I know for sure.

likeg

Cadet

I pulled the plugs and found exactly what I expected, water in all cylinders. I am planning on pulling engine and having block and all the passages cleaned, then at he least honed/possibly bored depending on how bad the damage is. I have noticed on other threads that Don has stated to remove the lag bolts mounted to the stringers to remove the motor. Just out of curiosity why does the mount need to be removed from the stringer, mine has a bolt on top of the mount that looks like it could be removed and the motor lifted out without needing to remove the mount from the stringer. I will do whatever is reccomended just wondering. I have looked at the volvo parts list and don't see a complete re-ring kit with all gaskets needed similar to what is available for car engines. I did see that Sierra offers something similar to this. What is the general opinion on the sierra parts (good, bad, indifferrent)?

Don S

For one thing, it's usually easier, it gives you something to sit the engine on when you set it on blocks on the floor (especially for running when you get it back together before putting it back in the boat). You also have to move the engine forward to get it out, with the mounts still attached to the boat, you have to try to raise the engine above the studs. Usually damages the threads.

But leave them in if it makes you feel better, makes no difference to me.

Disregard the part about moving it forward, just realized you have the newer style drive.

likeg

Cadet

Ok, makes sense to me regarding the the engine mounts. Any suggestions on parts (long block gasket set, rings, etc). Does Volvo sell these as a complete set or only individual pieces? It is a 4.3GL PLKD

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, makes sense to me regarding the the engine mounts. Any suggestions on parts (long block gasket set, rings, etc). Does Volvo sell these as a complete set or only individual pieces? It is a 4.3GL PLKD

Ayuh,.... Yer gonna need the services of a Machine Shop,...

Either buy yer parts from Them, or I usually use Napa for internal motor parts...

'n you can count on a full rebuild, a quick honin' ain't gonna do it...

likeg

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Yer gonna need the services of a Machine Shop,...

Either buy yer parts from Them, or I usually use Napa for internal motor parts...

'n you can count on a full rebuild, a quick honin' ain't gonna do it...

Thats the plan at this point, I will have the machine shop do the block work. Plan on pulling the motor within a week or 2 and getting started. Have all winter to get it running, so i don't have to rush the job.