volvo penta 230a wont start

zx9blazer

Recruit
ive got a 1993 wellcraft excel with a volvo penta 230a that i bought about 6 week ago, the boat sat for 2 year and the guy had the timing belt off and said that thats all it needed. but now about 2000 dollars later ive got a boat that only been in the water twice at trolling speed. i put the belt on witch took a week to figure out why it kept running off the pullies, then 2 week to get the over heating problem solved. had the heat exchanger rebuilt and flushed, manifold sandblasted, head rebuilt,carb rebuilt,with new points,cap,rotor,you name it i done it. i just wanna take this thing out one time before it snow,i cant take it to the shop cause they are all booked up winterizing other boats so i guess im on my own, i hired so called marine mechanic off of a site that almost knew less than i. lol can someone please help me, it idled fine until i had the carb done, now i cant even get it to start at all, it started 1 time then i lost spark, put new point in and now i have spark but it still wont start, HELP PLEASE!:eek:

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo penta 230a wont start

Welcome!

It sounds like you've had your hands full with this project!

I think you need to go back to what you've done since it ran last. When you did the carb, did you get the adjustment screws back in the proper initial settings? New points gapped to the proper initial gap? Remember that carb has no choke so cold starts can be tricky. Did you pour a bit of gas in the carb to see if it would fire that way?