1993 Volvo 430, DP/cd trim cylinder leak... prevention?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Of course, I'm going to have to get a seal kit to repair the leaking cylinder. My big question is how to prevent this from happening again. I've only had this boat a couple of months. The guy I got it from had a marina to do the same repair a couple of years ago. Feedback is what I'm looking for... what do you think? What causes this problem?
Here's what I'm thinking/suspecting. The seals are weaker than the pump pressure. I'm kind of betting/guessing that this thing has a limit switch that is not shutting off the pump before it reaches max pressure or max tilt. So, kind of thinking that future problems can be prevented by adjusting the limit switch (assuming there is a limit switch). I haven't tinkered with or studied this set up enough to know all the ins and outs about it... so I just admit ignorance right up front.
As many other posts as I've seen on this subject I'm thinking there's more to this problem than merely worn out parts... something is making these seals blow/leak.
It would be nice if someone would tell me where the limit switch is ... just to save me the trouble of figuring it out or looking it up for myself. THANKS!
RJ