penta 270 diesel conversion

vonsch

Recruit
Hi,

My Penta AQ130 has lost the compression in one of the cylinders and now I have two options to go. Either to have it overhauled or try to convert it to diesel. Diesel would be good from the point of fuel consumption the question is whether anyone converted that before.

As I'm located in Hungary, Europe, many diesel car engines are available even from almost the newest high pressure HDI, common rail type ones.

Would prefer a long term conversion so any hints, advises would be helpful. I'm wondering if the whole thing makes sense.

Thanks.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: penta 270 diesel conversion

Connecting some kind of diesel engine to a Volvo Penta drive has been done before. Actually, a German company can sell you some stuff for converting mercedes diesel engines into marine use, or sell you a complete setup.

http://www.marinediesel-arndt.de/

They also have a channel on youtube.

If you want to fabricate the parts needed for such a conversion, you must be able to weld, and have access to a lathe.

Parts needed:

Watercooled exhaust manifold
Raw water pump on the engine
Front motor mounts
Adaptorplate between engine and Volvo bellhousing
Customize the Volvo coupler for the Diesel engine flywheel

Beside this, you need various small parts; hoses, hose clamps, screws/bolts, brackets, another propeller.........

I'm in the process of fabricating parts for connecting a pair of Mercedes 6 cyl turbodiesel engines to Volvo SX sterndrives for my Flyfish overhaul project.