Volvo SX drive - how much hp/torque can it handle?

robgor

Cadet
I have a 2002 Caravelle 26 with the Volvo SX drive (behind a 320 HP GXi 5.7 Chevy). Dry weight about 4100 lbs.

Will this drive stand up to 550 hp/595 ft-lbs of torque if rebuilt correctly (drive has 730 hours on it, rebuild is due)? The 5.7 is being swapped for a 496 already on the garage floor.

I was going to go with a built Bravo 1, but I used this current Volvo configuration all summer and am really impressed with the way the Volvo shifts.

One mechanic says it will handle it, another says not.

Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks in advance.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Volvo SX drive - how much hp/torque can it handle?

Lot of work there...The answer i will leave for Don but 400 is what ive been told. Big build 496 watch your cam... 225 duration and 110-114 lsa is a push in I/O"S or she sucks water up the exhasut.. What are you doing for exhasut riser's.. manifolds etc???

robgor

Cadet

Lot of work there...The answer i will leave for Don but 400 is what ive been told. Big build 496 watch your cam... 225 duration and 110-114 lsa is a push in I/O"S or she sucks water up the exhasut.. What are you doing for exhasut riser's.. manifolds etc???

Tail Gunner,
Thanks for the input.
Re exhaust - using Imco aluminum Power Flow headers which have worked fine for me in the past.
Gord

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard a hard number given, but the biggest engine I know of Volvo using with the DPS drive (DuoProp version of the SX) was 420 on the 8.1 engines.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Someting that stands out in my mind is very few if any high horsepower go fast boat's use Volvo as a drive. Ive tried to find a shorty bottom half no support..steering ram's all of the high performnce stuff is centered around merc. A good used volvo drive is money..... intact and working i would think 3=4000...that would go a long way towards a larger Bravo. If you break the volvo its gone..good luck.

It seems at 400hp the dpx takes the place of the sx drive in the year 1999-2002. Now that would be intresting a 500hp engine and duo prop's...Hole shot from hell..

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent..._engines/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...pw.r_qf.&fp=2e91dd046fd868fc&biw=1366&bih=673