Volvo 8.1 Gi-B 2002 in won't start

thomr

Recruit
I have 2002 Cobalt with a 8.1 Volvo Gi-B that started acting up last weekend. It started ran fine most of the day pulling wakeboarders then went to start it and nothing. Had power, gauges lit up, can hear the engine beep, but a dead key.
Had to be pulled in. Messed around with it for a while and pulled the starter relay and put in a spare and it started. After about 10 starts it did it again, pulled the relay and put the same one back in and it started. This went on for the rest of the weekend. On a few of the no start occasions if I kept turning the key 3 or 4 times it also started. I tightened all the grounds, cleaned the battery posts, everything looked good. Batteries are a year old and I didn't see any corrosion on the connections. Also pulled the wiring harness back and from the rear relay box and everything there looked good.

Now it's in the garage and I am trouble shooting it and cranked a few times then the key went dead again but now regardless if I pull the relay and put it back it won't crank, power is good. I pulled the ignition switch back and there is power coming from the purple wire and the Neutral safety switch powers up when you turn to start. I traced the neutral wire all the way back to the relay box on the engine and it has power there to when you turn the key.

Not sure where else to look and if someone has a wiring diagram for the boat would be a big help.

thomr

Recruit
Re: Volvo 8.1 Gi-B 2002 in won't start

I have wore out my screw driver and wrenches going over all the connections. It has a kill switch, does it go to the ignition switch? all the connections on it are tight.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 8.1 Gi-B 2002 in won't start

My mistake, neutral safety switch, not kill switch. The kill switch has nothing to do with the engine cranking.