Volvo 270 Exhaust removal from transom shield

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice
I have to remove the exhaust from my Volvo 270 transom shield in order to remove shield from the boat.
I see there are 4 bolts to remove, should I use heat on these in order to get them out, or should they move with force?

Thanks, everyone has been really helpful to me with this project so far :)

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 270 Exhaust removal from transom shield

There's 4 nuts on the outside of the transom shield. Just take them off. I'm assuming you have already pulled the engine? Depending on what sort of sealant, if any, was used when it was assembled, it can be a bit of a fight getting it off. It's designed to only have an o-ring, but on mine I found the prior owner used 3M 5200...and I spend 20 minutes playing with it before it gave up. Then an hour cleaning it up!

rav221

Seaman Apprentice

Took my exhaust yoke off the transom shield (275 drive) about a month ago. I soaked the bolts and joint down with PBlaster oil a day before. Didn't need heat, but the bolts were pretty tight. After the bolts were out had to work a bit to get the exhuast loose from the shield.

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A bit of a fight??? Wish I was that lucky. It took four whacks. Something else you may want to do(or dread) is take your exhaust pipe somewhere dark, shine a light on the outside, and see if you see any inside. I did that by accident and saw lots of pinholes in mine. Good luck.

DSCF0014.jpgDSCF0015.jpg