4.3 L GL 1997 6 amp fuel pump breaker tripping.

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 97 Larson SEI 186, 43L GL, Volvo SX. It has an eclectic fuel pump with a Holley 2Bbl Model 2300 carb. This year the fuel pump breaker started to trip occasionally. Maybe 1-2 times a day, some days not at all. Last weekend it got much worse, pulling the kids tubing at about 3,000 rpms, I bet I had to reset it 10 times during the day. Sometimes not more the 2-3 minutes apart. The breaker was so hot a couple times I had to let it cool before I could reset it.

The fuel pump runs on a 6 amp breaker. I checked it on the driveway with the muffs on and at idle it pulls about 5.4 - 5.6 amps. When I revved it up a little for a second it pulled 5.7 amps. Don I've seen other posts where you suggest a jumper wire with a fuse to test the breaker. Would you still recommend that given I know what the amp draw is above?

What could cause the issue? Is it a given that the pump is going bad? Bushing or brushes causing higher amp draw? It doesn't sound noisy, but does feel warm to the touch. Not as hot as the breaker though.

I have a Napa Gold 3247 fuel filter. Any chance a plugged fuel filter would cause it to draw more amps? It is a couple years old.

I did replace the pump on 8/16/07 with a Carter P60965 (numbers on the pump: 3857985 and 204 1567A). Assume the old pump was a Volvo part, (the numbers of the old pump are 3850809 and 940 29360). Seems strange that a pump would go out that often. I've heard Carters aren't the best, but still, given the boat does not get that much run time in a MN summer.

Appreciate your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 L GL 1997 6 amp fuel pump breaker tripping.

Could be a defective breaker. Bypass it with a 6 amp fuse and fuse holder and see if the fuse blows.

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

Well here is an update. Got the boat on the water, before I could even get on plane the breaker tripped. Reset it 2 times and the same happened each time. Bypassed the breaker with an in-line fuse with a 6 amp fuse, same thing. Tried a 7 amp fuse just to be sure it wasnt the initial amp draw, the fuse blew again. Then used my amp meter between the 2 ends of the in-line fuse holder and ran the boat around a couple minutes up to maybe 30mph. The amp reading on the meter was between 10 and 11 amps. Thoughts on what to do next? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replace the pump.

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

Thaks Don! Do you have a brand preference? I can do another Carter for about $90. But not very happy with how long this one lasted, but for the money I think i can buy 2 Carters for the price of a Sierra.

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again. :) Well thought I had this one solved. I replaced the pump this year and had no issues for the first 6 days out. Went out last week and it tripped the breaker again. So I figured it was the pump again, so exchanged the pump on warranty. Went out today and it was good for the first run pulling the kids in the tube. But later in the day, it started tripping the breaker again. Any ideas on what to do next?

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

Is it possible that the fuel pump relay (part # 0586224) is what is causing the breaker to trip? Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.