Volvo Penta GXi-e Wont Start

emze

Cadet
I have a 2005 Campion Allante 925 with twin Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi-e.

Was out yesterday and port engine seemed to stall out at higher rpm like it was sucking for gas and kept reving itself. Was fine at lower rpm. For the last week or so there has been the common vp high pitch whine.

Today the boat would not start at all. It started to turn over once then I heard what sounded like a metal on metal clank (like something stopped belt from spinning). Tried to start again and all I heard was a click, almost like it a battery issue but I dont believe that is the case because other electric components work fine. I did hear what I believe is the fuel pump turn on first when I turned key to on.

I believe the batteries are sufficently charged. I know there must be some issue with the fuel pump because of the recent whine. But will a bad fuel pump result in the inability to even turn engine on (more than just a click). Is there a way to check pressure without engine starting? To replace the fuel filter do I need to depressurize system or is it ok to do with batteries off.

Any troubleshooting ideas. Any help is much appreciated as I would like to get it fixed before end of the season.

Thanks!

gbap

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta GXi-e Wont Start

emze,

I had a similar problem on my 2003 Four Winns with the 5.0 Volvo GL. That metallic sound, it sounds expensive doesn't it? My boat stalled on the water after I had some issues with the throttle, and I had to get towed in. My mechanic did a quick look and in his opinion (for now) it is that the stern drive is stuck in gear, or seized, or perhaps the engine is hydrolocked. Only the stuck in gear sounds realitively cheap. All the same the boat will be out earlier than I planned, and we will know once he pulls the drive. Good Luck.

Last edited: