2000 Volvo Penta SX-M eats U-Joints and How do you remove them.

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Two questions.

First
My boat runs 50 hours/year
It has a SX-M 1.79 Prod 3868893 SN 4112087898 driving by a 4.3GL PEFS
Sits in the water between 3 and 4 weeks total out of the year.

I got a new gimbal bearing in 2009 installed by a dealer
In 2011, the u-joints and gimbal were replaced by the local marina. The failure was blamed on a crack in a below that let water in.

Now in 2012 it sounds like the u-joints are going again. I guess I'll have to do it my self this time because both of these guys must be doing something wrong. I have already felt the gimbal bellow and it doesn't seem to have water in it. Any ideas on the source of the failure?

I'll take it apart the weekend after next but because there is 3.5 hours driving between where the boat is and the nearest Volvo-Penta dealer (best source of parts), I want to be ready for anything. I already had an alignment tool made up using the dimensioned sketch posted. I?m going to make up a bearing puller based on one of the threads. Any other suggestions? Is there a gasket kit?

Second (easy) question,
How do you remove the u-joints? With the outside retainers, I imagine that you slid the bearing cups and needles out and that give you just enough room to wiggle them out of the yokes. But with the inside style (what I have), I can't figure it out.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2000 Volvo Penta SX-M eats U-Joints and How do you remove them.

Second (easy) question
You need to remove the retaining clips and then press them out. Do not hammer them out or you may damage the input shaft bearing. I have in the past used a "G" clamp and a large socket(bigger than the end cap) and small socket(smaller than the end cap) to press them out. Although I do now have a home made press/pusher.
First question
I once over tightened the stainless worm drive clamp, and in the area of the worm drive mechanism it cut through the rubber and caused a slight leak, had about a thimble full of salt water in there, luckily no damage.
Both these jobs are quite straightforward. Various places on Ebay for the gimbal bearing and seal installing/pushers etc.
No gasket kit, but a shaped "O" ring seal around the water intake nipple where the drive comes apart from the pivot housing. Best of luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can't FEEL a bellows and tell if there is water in it, pull the drive and LOOK for water. You may have water in there from other sources.

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ginbal bearing annotated.jpgu-joint annotated.JPGSorry for the slow pace of this tread. There are seven hours of driving to see my boat and I don’t get time every weekend which is why I try to do all the research I can and get the bright tools/parts.

Anyway, the answer to my first question… I think the mechanic screwed up the installation of the j-joint bellows (see gimbal pic). I can’t believe it…

GIMBAL BEARING
When I rotated the gimbal bearing by hand it feels fine and the grease around it looked good. Leave it alone for now? Opinions?

U-JOINTS
At first these seem tight but after a bit of manipulation I found some play in one axis. I pumped some new grease (blue) into it and out three colours. Beige (the grease the mechanic used last summer), blue (mine, this weekend) and rusty brown. Even though only one u-joint has play that I can feel, I think I will change both. Makes sense to all?

SHIFT CABLE
I accidently gave the shift cable a strong pull. It looks ok so I think I will just double check the linkage movement after re-assembly. Is there anything I can do extra to make sure it is ok? Any seal I may have damaged?

Thx,

PS Sorry, one more question. My stern drive made a loud, thumping noise when the stern drive was turned (either way). This is the what got me started on this adventure.

A mechanic once told me that this meant it was the u-joints and not the gimbal failing. A reasonable guide line or nonsense?

Last edited:

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

redundant (combine with previous)

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I rotated the gimbal bearing by hand it feels fine and the grease around it looked good. Leave it alone for now? Opinions?

I accidently gave the shift cable a strong pull. It looks ok so I think I will just double check the linkage movement after re-assembly. Is there anything I can do extra to make sure it is ok? Any seal I may have damaged?

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Although there was a bit of water in the u-joint bellows, I think the real issue was a yoke that must have been damaged by one of two marinas I used in the past. That would explain why I went through u-joints so fast. Both marina's has been sold/closed and then re-opened by new people so I have no one to sue or yell at.

Anyway, I thought it was incredible enough to post a pic or two.

When I went to install the u-joint closest to the leg I noticed that the clip wouldn't go in.
bent yoke annotated.JPG

I rig this up and straightened it. I ran the engine for a few minutes and it felt very smooth.
yoke straightening annotated.JPG

It may work out next year when I put the boat back in (summer is over in Haliburton County :( ). I suspect i may end up replacing the yoke next year.
18-2337_big.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No wonder you have problems. The yoke is bent. With the ujoints in place, the C clips should be tight up against the inside surfaces of the yoke and flat against the yoke.
Since you have that big gap, I would say you have the wrong ujoints, and a damaged yoke.

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The u joints are right. They fit perfectly on the gimbal shaft yoke and spacer.

Hopefully I straightened the yoke enough otherwise I'm buying a new yoke next year :(

Thansk for all your help.