Removing aq130 from transom shield

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice
I am removing the aq130s from my boat, and am experiencing some difficulty in getting the engines to budge!

I have removed the outdrives, all mounts inside and removed the bolts from the clamping ring on the outdrive. I cant get the engine to pull back and out now, but there is a lot of corrosion around the clamping ring on the outside. Could this be holding it?

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the clamping ring and the engine?

Thanks,
Louis

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing aq130 from transom shield

If you look at that clamp ring, it has 9 holes in it. 6 are through bolted used to hold the clamp ring to the flywheel housing. The other three are threaded. You can use 3 of the bolts as jack screws to push the clamp ring back away from the flywheel housing.

Clamp ring.jpg

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Don! I was reading this, and you just answered my question that arose 30 minutes ago looking at my new clamping ring as to why there are 3 threaded holes. I was thinking of sealing them closed with some 5200 on assembly, but perhaps not now.

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you thank you thank you, I have just seen your reply. I didnt get a notification so didnt realise you had replied.

Thanks for your response, I will try using the threaded holes. Hopefully the bolts I have removed will fit :) Its very corroded, but if this works it will be fantastic!

Thanks again for your help, I am more than grateful.

Louis

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sort of on this subject....just pulled a GM 350 out from a Volvo 270 drive....all bolts removed, and the engine hoist started to raise the boat off the trailer. Screwdriver wedged under motor mount, then a prybar.....oh yes, 3M 5200 was applied. TOUGh STUFF.

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

For everyone's information I have managed to removed the clamping rings and the engines are out. The amount of corrosion on them was unbelievable. I removed them with a 2 tonne hydraulic puller :) It pulled them off with relative ease, so now its time to get on with my transom and clean everything up ready for refit :) Thanks for all your help!