Pertronix question fo my volvo Aq151

sniper2320

Cadet
After installing the flamethrower coil and the pertronix ignation upgrade i found that i had to turn my distributor quite a bit counterclock wise what im sure is advancing it. I had to turn it all the way to the other side from when i had my points in to be able to get it to fire and run and be able to set the timing to 6deg..is it ok to have the distributot advance that much..??
There is no pinging or nocking when i rev it and it idles right at 850rpm and starts good.. As anyone had to do this?
i want to be sure befor i take it out on the waters and know that its not going to blow up...

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Pertronix question fo my volvo Aq151

If your timing is set to 6* then you are not advanced more than that. Is it possible the cap is 180* off?

NHGuy

Captain

I don't have experience with that system. But I do know that once you get the timing mark on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley to the zero mark you then verify you are at TDC. At that point stick a long straw or screwdriver in the #1 sparkplug hole to assure yourself that the piston is at the top of it's travel. If it's at the top go on, if it's not you are on the wrong revolution and need to bring the crankshaft around another 360 degrees. Then place the #1 plug wire terminal at the rotor and turn the distributor the 6 degrees that you need manually by your eye. Last, start it and set it with a light.

JimS111

Cadet

I recently put a hot spark ignition (similar to Pertronix) in and as the instructions say, it fires as much as 30 degrees off where the points fire so you have to completely readjust your timing. One problem I had was, I originally had it 180 degrees out so it was sparking between the intake and exhaust stroke rather than the top of the compression stroke. You may be able to see your camshaft thru the filler cap hole. The cams should be pointing mostly up when it is at TDC on the compression stroke.

So, if you look at the distributor and turn the crank, when you've turned the crank 1 full revolution, the rotor will be pointing 180 degrees off.

sniper2320

Cadet

Ok guys thanks for the tips... ill be checking it again this saturday and let you guys know what i've found..

sniper2320

Cadet

I recently put a hot spark ignition (similar to Pertronix) in and as the instructions say, it fires as much as 30 degrees off where the points fire so you have to completely readjust your timing. One problem I had was, I originally had it 180 degrees out so it was sparking between the intake and exhaust stroke rather than the top of the compression stroke. You may be able to see your camshaft thru the filler cap hole. The cams should be pointing mostly up when it is at TDC on the compression stroke.

So, if you look at the distributor and turn the crank, when you've turned the crank 1 full revolution, the rotor will be pointing 180 degrees off.

Jim,
One question i have for you...When it was 180 degrees out and it was sparking between the intake and exhaust stroke,was it still firing and running ok??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

But I do know that once you get the timing mark on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley to the zero mark you then verify you are at TDC. At that point stick a long straw or screwdriver in the #1 sparkplug hole to assure yourself that the piston is at the top of it's travel.
By definition, if you are at TDC the #1 piston is going to be at the top of its stroke. You just don't know if it the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke. You can determine that by looking at the valves or rotating the engine with your finger over the spark plug hole. When you are coming up to TDC on the compression stroke, you can feel the air pressure with your finger.