Volvo Penta AQ280 SP Steering Helmet problem.

aaron490

Recruit
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a GlasPly with a Volvo Penta 260 engine and a Volvo Penta AQ280 sp outdrive (1981). I was going to replace the U Joint bellows (I found milky grease when I cracked the seal just to check). I have been following the directions I have found on this website - an incredible resource :). However, I am stuck on trying to move the steering helmet out of the way. I don't understand where I am suppose to thread in the 1/4 - 20 screws (or M6 according to the manual). I have enclosed a picture, any advice is greatly appreciated!!

steering_helment_2.jpgsteering_Helmet_1.jpg

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta AQ280 SP Steering Helmet problem.

You need to remove the two bolts on the sides that secure the helmet to the steering fork.

Turn the steering wheel all the way one direction and remove the exposed bolt.

Then carefully turn the steering wheel back the other way and remove the bolt on the other side.

Have someone guide the outdrive back to center as you turn the wheel back to center to avoid damaging anything (as the outdrive will now be free of the steering mechanism).

The helmet will then slide out.

captmello

Captain

You need to remove the two bolts on the sides that secure the helmet to the steering fork.

Then carefully turn the steering wheel back the other way and remove the bolt on the other side.

Have someone guide the outdrive back to center as you turn the wheel back to center to avoid damaging anything (as the outdrive will now be free of the steering mechanism).

Are you suggesting he removes the two helmet pivot bolts to remove the upper gear box???

The OP, has a two bolt pin without the threaded holes. Once the pin is removed the helmet will pivot up out of the way.

Here is a thread about removing the upper.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

Removing the two bolt bushing will be tricky. I would get a four hole pin to go back in. A couple of allen wrenches in the pin holes to try to pry it out...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

mine was crudded in and I broke off a 1/4" bolt in the jacking screw holes. so I took a junk socket, welded two pieces of 5/16" rod to the socket that fit into the cap screw holes, I could then twist the pin, which broke the crud loose, which allowed me to remove it.

aaron490

Recruit

Thank You. That worked, I must have been in the wrong chapter in the manual. The U-Joint boot was completely filled with some nasty looking grease. I don't see any signs of rust, anywhere... Hopefully this has been a very short term problem. Now I get to figure out where the water came from and get it fixed, I'm sure I'll be back for more advice soon :redface:.

Thanks again.

Aaron

aaron490

Recruit

Are you suggesting he removes the two helmet pivot bolts to remove the upper gear box???

The OP, has a two bolt pin without the threaded holes. Once the pin is removed the helmet will pivot up out of the way.

Removing the two bolt bushing will be tricky. I would get a four hole pin to go back in. A couple of allen wrenches in the pin holes to try to pry it out...

I'm going to try and replace the bushing with a four hole bushing. However the one that is currently in there appears to want to stay put. I sprayed it down with penetrating oil and will attack it tomorrow. Thanks again!!

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it bad to remove the helmet entirely? Seems like a pretty straight-forward and simple way to do it.

Aaron, good to hear you got it off.

captmello

Captain

Is it bad to remove the helmet entirely? Seems like a pretty straight-forward and simple way to do it.

I guess it works, just seems unusual, I've never heard anyone suggest that before. I seem to remember someone having issues lining the holes back up for install.

Imo, the OP, Aaron, would be best off removing the two bolt pin, and replacing it with a four bolt during the install, or at least figure out a viable way of removing the two bolt pin. Like Scott said, his was corroded in, as was mine, however if you remove it once a year, it will be much easier to remove in the future. Reinstall the helmet first, then the upper gear box. Last, the helmet pin.

While the upper is off, I would also suggest replacing the water intake elbow and gasket which sit just below the ujoint bellows. This is a common maintenance item.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess it works, just seems unusual, I've never heard anyone suggest that before. I seem to remember someone having issues lining the holes back up for install.

Imo, the OP, Aaron, would be best off removing the two bolt pin, and replacing it with a four bolt during the install, or at least figure out a viable way of removing the two bolt pin. Like Scott said, his was corroded in, as was mine, however if you remove it once a year, it will be much easier to remove in the future. Reinstall the helmet first, then the upper gear box. Last, the helmet pin.

While the upper is off, I would also suggest replacing the water intake elbow and gasket which sit just below the ujoint bellows. This is a common maintenance item.

My issue has nothing to do with this gentleman's boat. My fork is bent. I got it that way and is in no way related to having the helmet off the fork.

If one wants to remove a stuck pin it would be advantageous to have the option of working with the upper on a workbench, hence removing the helmet. I don't see why this is so strange.

But I agree, OP should replace that elbow and gasket.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

water intake elbow and gasket is about $18 on-line, under $25 with shipping. and no, you cant weld them to repair them. I have tried

captmello

Captain

My issue has nothing to do with this gentleman's boat. My fork is bent. I got it that way and is in no way related to having the helmet off the fork.

If one wants to remove a stuck pin it would be advantageous to have the option of working with the upper on a workbench, hence removing the helmet. I don't see why this is so strange.

But I agree, OP should replace that elbow and gasket.

I wish you'd updated your thread with that info...Sorry about the bent fork. I just thought is was unusual to suggest doing it that way. But I agree, if you can't get the pin out, that method is an alternative.:)

Ran across this thread when I was defeated by my 280 steering helmet pin as well. Looks like this is the two hole version and the extra holes in the side for using other screws that will bottom and help lift the pin is not possible. I tried what was suggested in this thread and it did not work. After removing the steering bolts from each side the helmet was free but still around the pin. There was not enough up down free movement to get over the pin. Motor up or down, the helmet still only would lift up 1/4 to 3/8" which wont quite get it over the pin. I would have had to pry on the helmet to get it off and since I wanted to boat the next day I passed.

Just thought I would leave that learning. I am going to get my pin loose by taking it to a shop :)