Idle air control, Volvo Penta 5,7 Gi-E

Ingeinan

Cadet
Have some problems with my IAC that don't work as it should.
I have changed the old IAC (from 2005) to a new IAC but without any change.
Its difficult to find what's wrong because I don't have all the details how it should work. Hope someone can give me some information regarding this matter.
First I would like to ask how rapidly an Volvo Penta IAC changes from one position to another, I haven't seen it in action. How many seconds will it need to move from inner position to outer position?
It is four electrical pins in the socket, that are connected to two inductive loads. Is it a engine or a coil that moves the piston?
What is the normal voltage when positioning and rest position?
How can i check if the signal from the control unit is ok? (When I measure the voltage it seems like it has 12V on two pins most of the time and it is an alternating current at two of the pins.)
The IAC piston can be moved by hand, but it is not changing position by itself. It is same result with the old and the new IAC. What is it that is affecting the positions of the IAC? Can i have the Control unit to send signals by activate or disactivate some sensors?

Thank you very much for any kind of help in this matter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Idle air control, Volvo Penta 5,7 Gi-E

What kind of a problem are you actually having. You may not have an IAC problem at all.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

The IAC is a small stepper motor.

It has to be able to change fairly rapidly (open-closed in 1-2 seconds) to deal with changes in load.

What is your issue???

Chay

Ingeinan

Cadet

My boat engine is a Volvo Penta 5.7 Gi-E 2005 model.

The engine has been a bit poorly at idle have stayed at low revs. Mixed in fuel injection cleaning and started the engine. The engine starts on 700v/min. After 1 minute, increasing speed to 1200varv/min and a sound reminiscent of air leakage occurs.

Disconnecting MAT / MAP sensor connection, then the engine will wind down.

Clogging the throttle and the engine goes down on lap due to vaccuum pressure. Clogging the hole where the Idle Air Control, and the engine goes down to normal idle speed and the noise ceases.

Get a new idle air control with unchanged results. unmount Air idle controler so I can see it. Cycling the ignition key Air idle Controller operates remains in the starting position, and do not move. Test this with the engine running and get no movement on the AIC unit also tests the new but no movement there either.

Can imagine that AIC was locked and when injection cleanse came to the gate came off the IAC and resulted in the opened up air supply. If it had been locked in almost inner position maybe that explains why sometimes the engine died at low revs.

Measuring the coil on the AIC and get a value of 47 ohms on both coils the same value of old and the new AIC.

Measuring the contact to the AIC and the value 12v on two pins. On the other two pins are an alternating voltage which can be any form of pulses.

I tried to set the AIC to nearly closed position and mounted it set so that engine speed was 700v/min. The engine then worked properly for a short time without the noise from the airflow. AIC can not remain in this position, it opens after a short time because of the air flow. The same result if the plug is connected or not.

How can I measure the signal from the controller?

What factors affect the governance of AIC?

Is it control to AIC which is the source of the error, or could it be something else?

Grateful for any help :)

Ingeinan

Cadet

What kind of a problem are you actually having. You may not have an IAC problem at all.

Dear Don,

The IAC doesn't move at all what do you think it can be. Please see my detailed explanations below.

Looking forward to your answer.

Thank you for your great help

Ingeinan

Cadet

Thank you Don,

Good to have help from the United States. I am Swedish and have my boat in a lake called Bolmen in the south of Sweden. It is difficult to Volvo Penta's service to enter the country where I have my boat. It is very expensive too. I will try to find the problem myself or enlist the help of a local mechanic. It should probably go when I have so amazing knowledgeable people on this forum. Thank you very much any help is very appreciated.

:)