Drain plug on 98 Volvo Penta 4.3 SX Cobra

elliott1612

Recruit
Need help. Just bought a 98 Regal with the Volvo Penta 4.3GL SX Cobra outdrive. There is a hole for a drain plug on the upper port side of my outdrive. The hole is empty but looks like a plug should be there. Is it OK to run the boat with this hole empty? What is the purpose of this hole?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drain plug on 98 Volvo Penta 4.3 SX Cobra

Post a picture of the hole.

elliott1612

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, will take a picture after work today and post tomorrow.

Attachments

• Mount Pleasant-20120814-00010.jpg
    Mount Pleasant-20120814-00010.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wando-20120814-00009.jpg
    Wando-20120814-00009.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Wando-20120814-00011.jpg
    Wando-20120814-00011.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

elliott1612

Recruit

Don S:
I researched and found an old post where you gave another person who was asking about the same plug the response below:

Question:
Just finishing up my winterization on my '96 Volvo SX/OMC Cobra. There is a drain plug/vent plug about half way down on the outdrive. When I've pulled it out the last couple of years, no water came out of the hole or anywhere else.

This is a nasty little plug and never feels right coming out or going in. I replaced the plug last year (along with the O-ring), but that didn't change much.

I guess the question that I have is: Is pulling this really necessary? Last year, a month or so after winterization, I pulled the drive to lube the gimbal and u-joints and I didn't find water anywhere.

Does this vent just help the process of draining the water system that would happen anyway when I pull the hoses off the seawater pump? I do have a power steering cooler as well.

If its got to come out, no biggie, but I'm just curious what its role is?

Your answer:
Re: VP SX/Cobra - water drain plug question
That hole only leads to the other side of the housing, not into the water system at all. There is a plastic fitting and a hose that comes thru the hole with the big plastic nut and D shaped oring.
It wouldn't matter if it was missing!!!!

So can I assume it is OK to run the boat with that plug out?

Thanks,

Sam

elliott1612

Recruit
Pictures for Need Help! Plug missing from Volvo Penta SX Cobra stern drive

Pictures for Need Help! Plug missing from Volvo Penta SX Cobra stern drive

Below are pictures of the hole in the port side of the upper stern drive of a 4.3L GL Volvo Penta SX Cobra stern drive. The boat is a 1998 Regal 2150 LSC.

The boat tested fine in the water when I purchased the boat, temperature and water flow were fine. The drive is also showing full of gear lube on the dipstick.Mount Pleasant-20120814-00010.jpgWando-20120814-00009.jpgWando-20120814-00011.jpg

Can anyone tell whether this plug is necessary?

Thanks,

Sam

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pictures for Need Help! Plug missing from Volvo Penta SX Cobra stern drive

I merged the two threads together, no need to start a new thread when it's just an update to a previous thread.

That hole is not in the upper part of the drive, it's in the pivot housing.
No, it doesn't hurt anything to run without it. It's was just a holdover from the old OMC Cobra days when it was a water drain. 98 was the last year for that plug, it was cast solid after that.

Soreal53

Seaman

It does nothing, in the beginning of summer I tried to remove that exact flat head bolt and ended up stripping it. I then drilled the screw out to find out my bit went through the plastic part that attaches to hose on 1 side and other to plastic nut. Had to take off the entire outdrive to replace parts I screwed up but I ended up putting jb weld in place of the screw ( hole u have in pics). Every thing is fine and my boat is running well. Just find that screw and plug it but if not able to find no worries cause the plastic hose behind is totaly solid.
Good luck

elliott1612

Recruit

Thanks for the info!

Sam