Volvo Penta 270 Steering Helmet - Bolts not lining up

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I'm putting together this 270 outdrive for the first time since I got the boat from a neighbor.

I ran into a problem with the steering helmet. When I put it on, the bolt holes don't line up with the steering fork. It's almost as if the helmet is held too far forward.

The helmet is pushed on as far as it can go onto the upper drive unit. I don't see any way it could go on any farther or seat in a different position. The bolt holes are about 1/8" off on each side. The bushing on the helmet is completely seated. It doesn't seem like there's any play in the outdrive pivots.

So is it possible that this steering helmet came from a different outdrive, such as a 280 or something? It seems to fit on there well otherwise, it's just that the bolt holes don't line up.

I'm thinking the best solution is to have the existing bolt holes on the helmet welded closed and then drill and tap new holes in the correct position. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta 270 Steering Helmet - Bolts not lining up

Should be strait forward,can you attached some photos.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so I did some more poking around and I think I may have found the problem. It doesn't make it any easier for me though.

Here is a picture of one side of the steering helmet with the other side bolted in. The bolt hole is off by about an 1/8th inch. I cannot move the helmet to align them.

IMG_2877.jpg

As you can see here the helmet is fitted all the way down on to the pivot on the drive. No gap.

IMG_2866.jpg

I decided to see if the steering fork was aligned with the drive hinges. It's difficult to tell from these pictures but the centers of the bolts in the steering fork don't line up with the center line of the drive lift hinge. It looks like this on both sides, about a 1/16th inch forward from center when the steering fork is centered. These holes should line up.

IMG_2874.jpg

So, it would appear that my steering fork is bent. How would this happen? The fork seems solid.

Any recommendations on how to fix?? :confused:

Thanks again.

captmello

Captain

I've never had the steering fork off my helmet, but if it where me, I'd disconnect the helmet from the upper gear box, install the two bolts between the helmet and fork and then attach the helmet to the outdrive.

Does that make sense????

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are differences between 250 , 270 , 280 ,fork pin diameter for instance,not sure about helmet mounts. There should be washer between the fork and helmet,can't see on the photo.