Seized my SX outdrive 1st time out on the water this summer

jhanan

Cadet
So after de-winterizing my boat and checking the motor with the muffs on, checked the battery, and was ready to hit the water finally even know it already Aug!

I just seized my SX outdrive on my 1999 Regal LSR2100 with the 5.0GL. After reading the stickies here, it is clear I did not follow the proper annual maintenance instructions for the outdrive, I guess being a 1st time boat owner I left the outdrive alone while just taking care of the engine for every winter for the last 5 years.

Here was the scenario. Put her in the water and was backing out from the ramp with the drive up because very shallow ramp area - with Lowrance reading only 2.5 ft of water on Saratoga Lake it took forever to get out to deep water.

Outdrive is making this whining noise that I have never heard before! But once I was in deeper water, I dropped down the drive, and motored off - the noise stopped for awhile...but after about 15 min running 25 mph the whining noise was back and loud, so turned the boat around to head back to the ramp. Dropped speed down to about 7 mph and while was making the nasty whine sound was making progress to the ramp. However with about a mile to go, I stopped to give her a rest and when I shift back into gear - wham! Was still able to motor on, but then I stopped again and decided to try reverse - bad idea - it seized hard when I put it into R - killed the motor, jammed the selector. I was able to get her back into neutral after awhile. I just to try once more put her in gear and killed the motor. Prop stuck solid. So lake was busy (Friday) and I hitched a tow back to the ramp.

Since this is the 1st time I'm taking the drive off - like I said before I have never taken it out since I have had the boat - my bad.

Anyway, please point me to how to get the drive off and figure out what failed on it. I do have the manual, so I will get busy reading up 1st.

Thanks, Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seized my SX outdrive 1st time out on the water this summer

Since you have the manual, it has instructions for removing the drive as well.

Your best bet would be to drain the gear lube and see what it looks like. If full of metal, you need a drive.
Without all the special tools, rebuilding yourself isn't going to be possible.

jhanan

Cadet
OK, thanks Don S for info, I know this is going to sound strange, but I've been busy doing other rec activities. OK, I got the lower unit off. Not easy. It seemed to be stuck to the upper unit and did not want to "slide" down and off. I worked on it for an hour and got it out. It is seized and shot - froze water in it, bottom casing is cracked. So she is done for sure. OK so while working at it I decided to remove the upper unit and check the u-joints etc. I got it off. It does not spin. The U joints look good. But it does not rotate and it should be in neutral - shouldn't it spin easy - I thought only the lower unit is seized, but can the upper unit be seized too???

Thanks, Jeff

jhanan

Cadet
I can post pics but I need to use a phone app. Does iboat support tapatalk or similar?

GA_Boater

No TapaTalk here. Click on the Forum Help link in the sig below and look at the photo posting thread.

BTW - Don S passed to the marina in the sky. RIP

jhanan

Cadet
Re: Seized my SX outdrive 1st time out on the water this summer

Since you have the manual, it has instructions for removing the drive as well.

Your best bet would be to drain the gear lube and see what it looks like. If full of metal, you need a drive.
Without all the special tools, rebuilding yourself isn't going to be possible.

RIP Don S!

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you say the lower unit was cracked from freeze damage, you more than likely lost all the gear lube hence all the bearing and gear whine you heard. Both the upper and lower use the same lube. Your best bet is going to be finding a good used drive. Just ensure you get the same gear ratio.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
jhanan can post in his own thread any time he wants. Even a century from now. LOL

That's great and I understand op was paying tribute to Don S. My comments about the age of the post were more directed at the people asking questions aboutique how to test upper units and giving advice on buying a new drive. Hopefully after four years he has that much figured out! Lol!

GA_Boater

That's great and I understand op was paying tribute to Don S. My comments about the age of the post were more directed at the people asking questions aboutique how to test upper units and giving advice on buying a new drive. Hopefully after four years he has that much figured out! Lol!

C'mon! He's just getting back on it. What's wrong with answering his new questions? That's what we do here.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry... I didn't see his previous posts yesterday and I also didn't catch that it was the op asking questions about his original post... my bad!

jhanan

Cadet

LOL, read my post 1st.....

jhanan

Cadet
OK, so now to the subject of this thread....my lower unit and upper are now in the garage next to 4 nicely running dirt bikes (NETRA btw), the lower unit is cracked from ice damage, seized, and a goner for sure. But how to test to see if I can salvage the upper unit. It is neutral I believe - the position of the f/r shift linkage is horizontal, and the U joints look great - no slop, no rust, freely moving, so shouldn't the upper drive unit spin freely at the u joint?

Thanks in advance

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
The shaft in the upper section should spin freely, atleast that's my experience when I've taken mine out.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You might be best off to find a complete used outdrive assembly and replace it all at once. At least if you want to get back on the water this year.