bellows replacement for volvo SX

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice
I have a volvo penta SX-M drive, I noticed two tiny pin holes in the exhaust bellows. I will probably replace both the exhaust and the universal joint bellows both . The repair manuel is on the way, I know I have to pull the drive, are there any special tools I need, or any tricks that I should know about. I have been browzing the subject on this site but it seems I can only find info on mercs. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bellows replacement for volvo SX

Those are drain holes in the exhaust bellows. They are full of water all the time the boat is in the water anyway.When the boat is out of the water the holes allows the water to drain out of the bellows and exhaust system.<br />The ujoint bellows on the other hand, is the one that must be dry.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don you saved me a whole lotta work.I unclamped the universal bellows from the boat transom side and the universal looks brand new,with lots of fresh grease. The boat is a 2001 that I just purchased this winter it is powered by a 5.0 Gi VP. The previous owner always trailered the boat to salt water in MA and never moored it.The bellows are not dry rotted at all, in fact they look new, but unfortunateley are probably the originals. I will be mooring the boat in the Long Island Sound all summer, and plan to change out the bellows as a winter project What do you think and how long is the life expectancy of a rubber bellows Thanks for your reply, Joe

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dock side, I take my rubber bellows off each winter and store inside along with the outdrive. I have had them for 5 years and they look good as new. Before I put them back on at the start of the season I look for any faults , cracking bending them this way and that. If they look and feel fine I keep on using them the minute I see a crack or deteriation they go in the bin. The life of the bellows will depend on treatment and environment.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the post Chris. Is there any advantage of storing the outdrive inside during the winter months. I am from the New York area and sometimes the winters are brutal. My previous boat was an outboard, and left it outside during the winter and never had any problem. I am new to the I/O world, and ask a lot of questions still. Thanks

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

Dock Side,<br />One tool I had to make for replacement of the 1997 bellows on my SX drives was a 1/2" hex socket. I had to buy a 1/2" allen wrench (Sears) cut about an inch off the long handle and use it with my 1/2" socket set. This was necessary to remove the transition housing from the gimbal ring. (allowing easy access to attach the bellows to the transom) <br /><br />It took a 24" breaker-bar to loosen the hexhead SS. bolts that attach the gimbal to the transition housing. Yours may come apart with less force and I hope so because it takes a bit of a torque to loosen the older bolt from the housing threads.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the tip erie_guy. Does anybody know if there is a torque setting for any of the bellows clamps,or is it as hard as you can turn the clamp screw?

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

Dock Side,<br /><br />I would suggest that you only modestly tighten the screw clamps. A thin coating of bellows cement is the primary seal on the boat side of the drive bellows. The transition end of the bellows is held in place by a "lip" on the bellows fitting into a matching contour on the transition housing.<br /><br />Just make sure both ends of the bellows are mated correctly with the grooves in the housings. The exhaust bellows does not have a sealing issue and it is held into the transition housing with an internal "c-snap ring". Just make sure you have a set of snap ring pliers to remove and reinstall this ring.<br /><br />Better hurry - its time to have the boats in the water.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

you don't have to remove anything other then the drive and bellows to change bellows on any sx or older omc cobra sterndrive alot of techs make this error and cost customers a lot of money for nothing