Volvo 5.0 GXi-E Engine Alarm at High RPMs

NoExcuses

Seaman
I am experiencing an engine alarm when I take my boat up to 4000 RPM, temperature and oil pressure are normal on the gauges. I am thinking that the exhaust manifold sensor is causing the alarm. Is this a sign that risers/manifold are in need of replacement? The boat is a 2004 with 550 hours, the first three years were probably spent in fresh water. This is my sixth season of using it in the brackish waters of the upper Chesapeake Bay.

Engine year: 2003
Model: Volvo 5.0 GXi-E
Serial Number: 4012104494

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 5.0 GXi-E Engine Alarm at High RPMs

When was the last time the impeller was replaced? I sure wouldn't be throwing manifolds and risers on it first thing without doing some checking. At least pull the risers off and inspect the water passages.
Might also want to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and find out what's setting off the alarm.

NoExcuses

Seaman
Re: Volvo 5.0 GXi-E Engine Alarm at High RPMs

I have two engines, I can't really tell which one is giving the alarm. I inspected both impellars in May but only changed one since the other still looked good but I suppose it could have got damaged since then. I believe I replaced it a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the advice.

vaqua55

Cadet
I am experiencing an engine alarm when I take my boat up to 4000 RPM, temperature and oil pressure are normal on the gauges. I am thinking that the exhaust manifold sensor is causing the alarm. Is this a sign that risers/manifold are in need of replacement? The boat is a 2004 with 550 hours, the first three years were probably spent in fresh water. This is my sixth season of using it in the brackish waters of the upper Chesapeake Bay.

Engine year: 2003
Model: Volvo 5.0 GXi-E
Serial Number: 4012104494

Have you ever found out what coursed your alarm as I have the same issue over 3400 RPM with my 5.7 GXI. I have replaced the oil pressure switch but did not solve the issue as the audible is still there when I get above 3400 RPM, not sure what to look for next, any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have you ever found out what coursed your alarm as I have the same issue over 3400 RPM with my 5.7 GXI. I have replaced the oil pressure switch but did not solve the issue as the audible is still there when I get above 3400 RPM, not sure what to look for next, any ideas?

Start a new thread with your questions. Read the Help Tips on top of the page.