92 volvo penta 230A changed timing belt/wont stay in time

M&M1337

Cadet
Morning all, I have a 92 230A just changed timing belt ,the old one spun the teeth at crank(run great before this)was old belt. I put the new one on and started up fine. Slowly it started running ruff . I changed cap rotter points condenser coil and wires + plugs. o and carb was rebuilt. it seem like its out of time but all gears are lined up with there marks. Im so lost now. any idea what could have changed from before the belt spun on the crank? it is a non interface motor. I had it out 4 times before the belt problem and don't under stand why its not back to the way it was.any help would be appreciated
Should the lines on the timing belt stay sinked wit the gear marks or do they wander away never to match again?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 92 volvo penta 230A changed timing belt/wont stay in time

Forget the belt marks, but the marks on the pulleys should line up properly. I would be wondering why the first belt went and what locked up to cause only the teeth around the crank to be torn off.

M&M1337

Cadet

I had a small oil leak from cam seal and dripped on crank pulley and belt was very old ,my fault for not checking that. the motor ran great before and I shut motor down at island then went to start back up at end of day and spun then. (The gear marks are all still where they need to be notches and dots)

Last edited:

M&M1337

Cadet

I took timing belt off again and reinstalled belt to the marks on toothed gears to marks on the belt cranked by hand twice to remove any backlash tightened and fired up runs good.Turn off then restart and runs rough. then goes down hill from there. I have a water fuel separator brand new 3/8" fuel lines and still don't know why its running ruff then not at all.

trophy boat

Seaman Apprentice

Check advance springs in bottom of distributor.
You also should time it after doing the belt.

M&M1337

Cadet

I will check the advance today. I am going nuts trying to figure this out. Thanks for the reply..

M&M1337

Cadet

well the advance springs are in good working order,Just left the Volvo dealer and the mechanic stated he had just put a timing belt on same motor this morning and had same symptoms as mine. so he told me to look in the mason jar that he had and it had water at bottom of it. Thats why my motor is acting up ,to put a water fuel filter on and clear out the old gas and try. I did and that's what it was. something so simple but overlooked. Thanks for all the help from all and hope someone else can use this feed to help fix there own problem.