2003 Volvo 5.7 - acceleration problems

medimick

Recruit
Had a rebuild put in a boat I purchased and first time out to put on some hours everything started out fine. Boat started right up, headed out, was told not to exceed 2000 rpm for the first 10 hours. Briefly put it up on a plane to get through some rapids, then back down to about 1800rpm. Everything was going along fine for about an hour, then all of a sudden started running rough. Tried to accelerate and barely made 2000rpm. Made it back to the launch and ended up with a water in the fuel problem. Mechanic drained the water out of the filters and tank said I was good to go. Next time out same thing - cannot exceed 2400 RPM so will not plane. Sounds very throatie, like it wants to go, just won't. Havehad diagnostics done - doesn't show any faults. Told there shouldn't be anything wrong.
Question - with a diagnostic check - would the boat have to be put into the situation where the problem is present before it would be picked up by the software? Or should it record and then show the problem in the history?
What if the mechanic only drained the filters and did not replace with new after a considerable amount of water was picked up?
Any other suggestions, on what it could possibly be? Apparently it has the whole local mechanical trade stumped(which doesn't surprise me) - This has been going on for over 2 months.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2003 Volvo 5.7 - acceleration problems

What was the original engines full model number or serial number. 2003 Volvo 5.7 sure doesn't tell much, way too many variations.