why is my exhaust so loud???

stuey4

Cadet
Just wondering if it is normal for my exhaust to bo so loud. Compared to my mercs i have this volvo is super loud. It is a 5.7 gxi

Bondo

Staff member
Re: why is my exhaust so loud???

Just wondering if it is normal for my exhaust to bo so loud. Compared to my mercs i have this volvo is super loud. It is a 5.7 gxi

Ayuh,.... Can't hear the difference from Here,....

In the water, or on the wagon,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The exhaust goes through the drive on both models. My WAG, could be nothing more than the boat design (Transom shape) of your Volvo boat allows more sound from the back of the boat to be heard forward, than the older (Mercruiser) designs.
Maybe the Volvo exhaust is less restrictive than the Merc. Hard to say, I would have to listen to them side by side to even venture an educated guess. Trying to remember sound is hard to do.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The Volvos have a couple of exhaust outets above the Antiventilation plate, Also some models only exhaust through the drive when the drive is trimmed fully down. Instead of an extendable/colapsible hose connected to the drive and the transom housing there is a short rubber pipe attached to the transom housing. As said before, when the drive is fully down, the exhaust is routed through the drive housing, but as the drive is trimmed up the exhaust is allowed to discharge directly to the atmosphere.