1995 Regal Valanti 202SE 5.0 Volvo Penta SX cranks, but will not fire

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat was running solid, as some remember from this post, I needed to have my transom replaced.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=555318&page=3

A friend of the family did the job for $1700 and now I have a solid transom. When he had it all apart he told me he saw that the stringers were slightly wet from the rot carrying from the transom, but not bad at all, and that they did not need to be replaced. So, all of that is taken care of now.

I got the boat home yesterday, hooked up the muffs, started right up, ran for about 10minutes, then it stalled out and would not start again. I noticed that the gas tank was on empty so I equated it to that. Today we had a trip planned to lake st clair for the day. I went to the gas station and got gas prior to taking the trip to the lake because I wanted to make sure she was going to start up. Put 20 gallons in and came home, hooked up muffs, engine cranks and cranks, but will not fire.

I open the hatch up and look for visual evidence. I find what seems to be the electric choke which is mounted right under the holley carb. It has 2 wires on it, a positive (purple) and a negative ground (black). The black wire (ground) has detached from the rivet point where it connect to the choke (if that is what this is) I immediately figured that this was my problem. Now I will need to solder it back on as it was a rived and not screwed on. Made sense to me that if the engine was not choked, it would not turn over and run.

I called my marine tech and asked his thoughts, he said that it was not the problem, said that it seemed I was not getting spark. Had me pull the 9th spark plug wire from the coil and see if a spark shot out of the coil when cranking, it did not. He had me check for voltage on the coil and another place. After my tests, he said he thinks it is an "ignitor" I think that is what he said, I do not remember. Either way, this is where I am at this point. I have a choke that either needs to be replaced, or I have to solder the ground back to it. Also, it seems that I am not getting spark.

Ohh yea, he had me check the carb to see if it was getting fuel, when I pushed the lever connected to it, fuel was sprayed into the carb so it is.

I really appreciate any help given.

thanks

jason

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Regal Valanti 202SE 5.0 Volvo Penta SX cranks, but will not fire

Ok, you don't have spark. Trust me, you aren't the first one to have that problem.

Turn the ignition switch to run position and see if you power to the + terminal of the coil.

Are you planning on taking this to your mechanic or are you wanting to fix it yourself.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, you don't have spark. Trust me, you aren't the first one to have that problem.

Turn the ignition switch to run position and see if you power to the + terminal of the coil.

Are you planning on taking this to your mechanic or are you wanting to fix it yourself.

If I can fix it myself I will. I have tested for voltage at the coil with the key on, there is 9.x volts there.

Don S

You should be seeing close to battery voltage. At 9 volts, it won't start.
Does the engine turn over at normal speed? If it's just barely turning over, forget it, it won't start.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should be seeing close to battery voltage. At 9 volts, it won't start.
Does the engine turn over at normal speed? If it's just barely turning over, forget it, it won't start.

Don, it seemed like it was slower than normal when I cranked it. Seemed sluggish and weak.

Don S

Possibly a junk battery (get it load tested), or loose/dirty battery cable connections (They have two ends on each cable).

Then check the voltage again.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Possibly a junk battery (get it load tested), or loose/dirty battery cable connections (They have two ends on each cable).

Then check the voltage again.

It is a new battery, I will check though, anything else?

Don S

It may be a new battery, but is it charged up? With your meter, what is the battery voltage if you check from the + an - battery terminals (not the cable ends, the battery itself). Then compare the readings with your meter on the battery cable terminal ends.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@don s

Funny...I accidentally left the key on last time I went out there. When I just now went out, the cool burned my hand when I touched it. I went to disconnect the battery and when doing that I heard a clicking sound coming from the distributor cap. I disconnected the battery to be safe. Also, 12+ volts on both battery posts, and cables.

Don S

Ok, let's do this different.
Disconnect the purple wires going to the + terminal of the coil. Turn the key on. Check the voltage on the purple wire coming from the wiring harness purple wire and see what the voltage is. Then shut the key off. :rolleyes:

Don S

What is your full model number on your engine, or the serial number, and what type ignition do you have? Prestolite BID or Delco EST distributor?

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5.0FL pmda

Pics coming maybe will be more informative IM not sure about the ignition. Thank you so much DON, sorry for my ignorance.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

20120722_195628.jpg

20120722_195745.jpg

20120722_195534.jpg

20120722_195723.jpg

20120722_195651.jpg

Don S

Ok, let's do this different.
Disconnect the purple wires going to the + terminal of the coil. Turn the key on. Check the voltage on the purple wire coming from the wiring harness purple wire and see what the voltage is. Then shut the key off. :rolleyes:

In case you missed it, still need to know the answer to the voltage question.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ohh, sorry. There was no voltage to the purple wire the goes into the harness from the coil. I could have sworn there was voltage there earlier, but not now. Not with the key on. (yes i reconnected the battery)

Don S

1. You need a new choke coil. Not your problem, but no you can't fix it.
2. At the ignition switch, check to see if you have power on the terminal with the red/purple (8) wire on it. You should have battery voltage, key on or off. Doesn't matter. Check fuse (6)
3. Key in the run position, you should have voltage on the purple wire (10) coming off the switch. Do you?

Her is a wiring diagram for your ignition system.

Untitled3.jpg

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, I will resume testing in the AM when I have daylight to work in. I will have the computer with me and will respond instantly. Again, I really appreciate your time, if I can compensate you with a paypal donation I will. I just have to get the kids to bed for the night and can work better in the AM. Thank you.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I am getting ready to get out there and begin said testing. I will post the results as soon as I get them. Thanks again.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@don s

EDITED DUE TO IGNORANCE :D

Don S

I am not 100% sure, but is the ignition switch mounted behind my alternator?

The ignition switch is that thing on the dash board where you stick the ignition key in to start the engine.