volvo 3.0GS Starter issue

volvostarter

Recruit
I have a 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0 GS engine in a Crestliner. The impeller froze and caused the engine to overheat and I had to eventually have a new block installed. Since that time I have had three starters fail. They work for a while and then the starter just spins, but does not engage the flywheel. My repair person thinks the starter does not fit properly, but I am suspecting that the solenoid on the starter is being "zapped" by something else in the system. Someone mentioned a slave solenoid. What is it and where is it located?

newish

Cadet
Re: volvo 3.0GS Starter issue

do you know how to use a volt meter? if so check and see how many volts are returning through the starter on its was back to the battery... check when its cold running temp and then right after u run it at cruise speed... if the alt is getting hot it can throw too many volts out and mess some stuff up!i would check and make sure you have the correct starter for your engine first....which bolt patteren do u have on your starter?

volvostarter

Recruit
Re: volvo 3.0GS Starter issue

do you know how to use a volt meter? if so check and see how many volts are returning through the starter on its was back to the battery... check when its cold running temp and then right after u run it at cruise speed... if the alt is getting hot it can throw too many volts out and mess some stuff up!i would check and make sure you have the correct starter for your engine first....which bolt patteren do u have on your starter?

there are two bolts on the starter which install from the bottom to top. I can't test the starter as you suggest, because I can't get the engine started. The starter spins, but the bendix drive does not engage the flywheel......