How-to: Volvo Penta SX-A/DPS Trim pump replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is your trim pump cover leaking oil from here or another location?

421bac4b.jpg

Has your trim pump stopped working all together? Well it's an easy replacement, and can be done yourself saving a couple hundred by not going into the shop.... For who knows how long.....

The trim pump and/or pump cover is a know high failure rate on these out drives due to being mounted outside the bilge, on the gimble housing under water. There is no aftermarket support yet since Volvo still has full rights to their patent, and we're at their mercy of what they want to charge for new replacement parts... Very expensive! However there are a couple people selling the genuine volvo parts on eBay for a good discount.

Trim pump cover kit P/N-21573835($360 msrp)

Trim pump kit P/N-21573834($860 msrp)

Volvo has redesigned the pump cover from the older version seen below...

2012-07-21_09-47-55_113.jpg

To the second edition seen here...

2012-07-21_13-03-45_657.jpg

Not a huge difference but they redesigned the hydraulic line ports to rid the cover of the dumb glued in white plastic plugs.

My pump cover started to leak from the white plugs just outside of warranty, and my dealer said that Volvo wouldn't cover it. I did find a couple threads about drilling those white plugs out, tapping the hole with a 10/32 bit and using a set screw to seal it back up. I tried this and used JB quick weld which didn't bond to the pump cover plastic housing. It stopped the leak from pissing out and down to a minute leak, but I'm not going to pollute the waters. This method might work if an epoxy that bonded metal and plastic was used, but not a permanent fix nor do I guarantee it to work.

It clearly didn't work for me, but I also left access to the set screw...

2012-07-21_09-48-05_316.jpg

I ended up calling Volvo penta consumer relations and nicely expressed my dissatisfaction with them on this widely known issue that they weren't recalling their faulty POS pump covers. Long story short, They helped me by sending me the cover kit no charge. I will give them kudos for willing to work with me and fix the bad cover, and we're very pleasant to talk with. Once again, talk to them respectfully and they may help others out too, no need to scream and hollar.

Onto the tear down...

This is how the pump cover kit comes, the pump kit includes all this and a new pump unit itself.

2012-07-21_09-46-51_996.jpg

The instruction manual I felt is wrote poorly, but I am no lamen which is why I am writing this to help others who may be timid.

1) start with the out drive in the down position so there is no pressure (if your unit still holds any) on the hydraulic lines.

2) take note of where the ground wires are grounded as you will need to put the new ones back in the same locations.

2012-07-21_09-47-55_113.jpg

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How-to: Volvo Penta SX-A/DPS Trim pump replacement.

3) next you need to disconnect they trim cylinders, they are only held in place with pins and cotter pins.

2012-07-21_09-48-40_137.jpg

2012-07-21_09-49-00_120.jpg

2012-07-21_09-49-19_780.jpg

2012-07-21_09-54-18_647.jpg

2012-07-21_10-00-00_301.jpg

4) remove the pin and cotter pin further out towards the prop, you will be able to lift the out drive with a minimal amount of effort one handed. Let the unit rest all the way down, find a sturdy object to use as a safe prop to hold the out drive up a little bit to access to the rear pins, and to have space to work. I just used a recycling bin.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

5) towards the rear of the trim cylinder, trace the hydraulic lines back till you reach a black hidden retainer clip. You need to carefully remove these as you need to reuse them when you install the new lines.

2012-07-21_10-21-42_539.jpg

6) next remove the 2 Allen bolts which hold on the hydraulic line retainer plate.

2012-07-21_10-16-01_530.jpg

7) if your only replacing your hydraulic line or repairing o-rings that have failed you need to label the lines before you remove them. Volvo doesn't have any printed literature on how they are installed, but I made a drawing for those who forget somehow or don't heed this warning...Not sure why the N looks like an A in my drawing for cylinder.

2012-07-21_11-03-57_344.jpg

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

8) I forgot which size Allen wrench needed, but remove the hydraulic hose retainer bolt on the cylinders and set cylinder and hardware on the side as it will be required to re-install. The lines pull directly up and out of the cylinders.

9) cover the open holes with tape so no debris can enter.

10) remove the retainer plate, just pulls off and hydraulic hoses from the trim pump housing, these also just pull up and out.

2012-07-21_10-16-45_167.jpg

11) remove the old lines from out drive assembly or disregard this if re-using them.

12) 10 mm socket and remove the 6 retaining bolts from the gimble housing/ transom and set aside to reuse the bolts.

2012-07-21_11-19-14_204.jpg

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

13) Inside you'll you'll find your pump, if you are only replacing lines and keeping the old hardware be sure to account for the 2 o-rings that will be on the inside of the cover where the 2 Allen bolts went through. Grease was used to keep them in place, don't loose these as they are another impossible size to find and can't order.

2012-07-21_11-19-23_870.jpg

14) the pump itself pulls out and has an electrical connector which needs to be disconnected. I don't have photos of this as mine still works so it wasn't removed.

15) fish the new the hydraulic lines through the outdrive just the way you pulled the new cover assembly out of the bag. It comes with new Allen bolts secured with nuts, leave these installed until later.

16) the lines are labeled with a colored zip tie for the corresponding sides they belong, red for port, green for starboard.

2012-07-21_11-53-26_519.jpg

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

17) the new cover kit comes with 4 new o-rings. Two are installed under the retaining nuts where the Allen bolts are holding the new retainer plate onto the new cover. The other two are in the zip lock bag with the zip ties, and these two get installed into the trim pump. Note picture above where the two black o-rings are installed, these are the placement for those.

18) next is pretty much a reverse install of what you took apart earlier in past steps. Remember to hook up the new grounds in the exact same locations as they were before.

19) installed the 2 center Allen bolts before you install the 6 bolts to the gimble housing. The pump is just floating in its housing till these 2 bolts go into it. If you try to go the other way, the bolts holes won't line up and you could strip out the pump.

Allen bolts that pass through the pump cover get tightened to 10Nm(7.5ft/lbs,90IN/Lbs)

Bolts into the gimble housing/transom 10Nm(7.5ft/lbs,90IN/Lbs)

Retainer bolts into trim cylinders 7Nm

Once everything is re-installed, fill the reservoir with the unit down to the top. These are self bleeding units so when he gargle a little bit this is normal till the air is out. Trim up and down a couple times to bleed the system, be sure the reservoir cover is off till the air bleeds out. Check for any leaks. Top off and enjoy a job well done!

2012-07-21_13-03-45_657.jpg

If I remember anything I missed I'll update it. Hope this helps some of you out.

Chewysjetta

Cadet

This is great. My pump died and I will be replacing this week. Seloc says to remove the drive unit,but it clearly looks like you can do it without removing it. Is this correct? Pump slides out and disconnect wires or is there something holding it in place besides the cover?

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your pump looks exactly like mine, Just turn the outdrive to port, you'll have all the access you need. The pump is just resting in the housing. A little tip, peel back the rubber cover on top of the old trim pump and disconnect the wires there instead of pulling the pump harness and wiring plug with the pump (a pain in the rear).

Chewysjetta

Cadet

Looks the exact same. Thanks for the wiring tip. The motor access is nice if only the design didn't cause so many failures this would be the way to go for trim pumps.

Chewysjetta

Cadet

So the wiring tip will mean reusing the old wiring directly attached from the old pump to the new? I assume re-soldering the old wires to the new pump and reusing the rubber boot from the old to new?

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not 100% sure if you have to cut the wire or not. That was a tip given to me from my dealer if I had to go that route. But in some pictures I've seen of the pumps it just looks like they come with pins and gaskets on the connector end. So you would have to pop the wires out of the connector and install the new wires into it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta...S-New-OEM-21573834-/180724709139#ht_674wt_689

That's the cheapest I've found the whole kit. You can see the pump wires in this photo.

Chewysjetta

Cadet

That's the pump i bought. The wires are planted with silicone into the rubber boot. Im thinking the way to do it is solder the old wiring to the new motor or cut the old wire and pull it into the boat to connect the new wiring.

Chewysjetta

Cadet

Well the old wiring has connectors that look to fit where the wires are soldered too on the new pump. Cut the new wires away from the new pump and hook up the wires and use the old rubber boot. Should have it wrapped up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.