Volvo Penta 4.3 wont start. Suggestions?

briant10

Cadet
Hi, <br /><br />I have a 2001 Glastron SX175... Volvo Penta 4.3 GL/Gi, 190hp.<br /><br />Was working fine last summer, then it got hot and we replaced the impeller. Worked fine another 5/6 outings. <br />Then (on my birthday of all days) it wouldn't start. It'd crank, but not start. The battery is good. <br />We thought that it wasn't getting compression, so we tore it down to check the heads and they were fine (according to a mechanic). Replaced all of the gaskets and made sure everything is torqued properly. <br />Now when I am trying to start it gives me....you guessed it... the same thing as before we did all of that work! <br /><br />I've had a mechanic come by and look at it a few days ago and he's been by a couple time since. He set the timing and it didn't help. Said it might be the ignition module, so I had it tested and it was bad, but when we put the new one on it still acts the same. The mechanic says that he thinks it's something small at this point, as he's had the head covers off and checked the rocker arms and stuff in there. It's getting fire, but won't start up. <br />I wasn't in Sunday, but he said that after initially setting the timing it started right up and he ran it for about 20 minutes and it was even fairly smoothe running considering that it had been sitting. But we haven't been able to start it again. <br /><br />If you can suggest what I might be able to do to get it running I'd appreciate it greatly. Summer is almost here in Texas!<br />Thanks, Brian

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 wont start. Suggestions?

Man, you have some real problems, not only it won't run, but you don't know what you have?<br />
I have a 2001 Glastron SX175... Volvo Penta 4.3 GL/Gi, 190hp.<br />
The GL is a carbed engine, the GI is a fuel injected one. What is the full model or serial number of your engine? That would sure help.<br /><br />Next, why would you pull the heads when it won't start???? Did it have spark? Did it have fuel?<br />With an 01 engine, you could have had problems with relays, fuses, kill switches and a lot of other things that should have been checked before pulling the heads. Even a simple compression test would have told you if you had compression or not.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Step back from the boat and put your wallet away. :p Back to the basics here. Either find a reputable certified service dealer or purchase the correct factory service manual. The manual will outline your course of action, and save you money in the long run. The guys on this board can guide you through the processes needed to get you back on the water. BTW welcome aboard.

ar_be

Cadet

Hey Brian, <br />How did you get the impeller off, did you have to remove the retaining bar that fits between the intake out output of the raw water pump, if so are the bolts way back on the block, can't see them.

ar_be

Cadet

Chill Don, you hadn't posted when I posted here.<br />Thanks for the post.

briant10

Cadet

Don, it is carburated. It says GL/Gi on the manuals that came with the boat. So I suppose it's a GL.<br />We pulled the heads because we thought that when it got hot it might have blown a gasket. But as near as I could tell it didn't. But it is back together now and it was done correctly.<br />I stopped by a local marine service center today and asked how much it'd be to get it in to have a look at it. He said it's based on $75/hr...ouch. But he did give me some hints as to what to check. He said they'd run the compression test, check the starter, the solenoid, and flush the engine. I told him that when the impeller went bad I found pieces of it throughout the exhaust manifold. He said to take a hose and completely flush it.<br />My wife's uncle is a machinist and he has access to a compression tool, so I suppose that's first.<br />Someone told me that I could get a starter tester at NAPA for about $50.<br />Limited, do you have a link to where I can get a factory service manual? I have the Climer manual.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Brian

Don S

You can get the service manuals from your Volvo dealer, I can get you the manual numbers if I had a serial number for your engine. Years don't really do it in boats. You could have a 2000 engine and drive setup in a 2001 boat.<br />I also wouldn't worry about buying a starter tester, you can usually take the starter off and take it to a starter/alternator shop and many NAPA stores and they will test them for you for free. You said it wouldn't start and also said you could buy a starter tester. Does that mean the engine won't crank over, or it cranks over just won't run?<br />I'm assuming it was cranking as you "Kinda said" it cranked and wouldn't start.<br />Did you check for spark???<br />Did you check to see if the fuel was getting to the carb??<br /><br />PS: Here is a link on how you do a proper compression test.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/97/97_25.pdf

briant10

Cadet

Don, Thanks for the link. The serial number for the motor is 4012020323. That 4 might be a 9 though. It's dark and the boat is covered. I got the motor serial number off of the original paperwork and it was handwritten (that's why it might be a 9.)<br />It it "trying to start," that is, it makes a noise like it normally would if it was going to start, but it just keeps making that noise and it won't run/start.<br />The starter motor is turning. It is getting a spark. The fuel is getting to the carb. After talking to my wife's uncle (he has rebuilt several mercruisers) I am almost convinced that it is electrical. But then, my experience is limited.<br />I am going to get his compression kit on Saturday and check out the numbers. I didn't know it, but he did a compression test before we redid the heads and was getting<br />#1 160 psi<br />#3 130 psi<br />#5 150 psi<br />#2 150 psi<br />#4 120 psi<br />#6 200 psi<br />What do you think about those numbers? <br />Thanks, Brian

Don S

Here is a link to a Volvo service bulletin for ID by model number.<br /> Volvo Engine ID <br /><br />But an actual serial number is better. The number will be around 10 number long starting with a 4.

vipzach

Lieutenant

brian, check your kill switch! Make sure that the lanyard is fully inserted and working correctly. That sure would be a simple fix for not starting when you say it has fuel and spark.

Don S

If it has spark, the kill switch is working. The kill switch actually stops the spark (ignition) that is how it works.

briant10

Cadet

Yeah, I had a friend who spent the weekend at the lake with his family and no boat because he couldn't get the thing started. I checked the kill switch first. But if I hadn't heard that story from him 500 times I probably wouldn't have. Thanks

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

might have some water in #6 ?<br /><br />Engine VP Serial Number 4012020323 <br />Delivery date (mm/dd/yyyy) 03/20/2001 User District US VOLVO PENTA OF THE AMERICAS *USA* <br />Expiration Date 3/20/2003 Warranty Time PLEASURE 24 MONTH <br /> <br /> Serial No. Model Spec No. <br />Engine 4012020323 4.3GL PEFS 3869053 <br />Transmission/Drive 4202008525 SX-M 1.79 3868893 <br />Transom 4111657878 TSK SX-M 3868844 <br /><br />Group Number Version<br />25-1 7 02<br />It is our recommendation that when servicing an engine that has been overheated, the high-rise exhaust<br />elbow gasket(s) should be replaced with gasket P/N 3863191 (V-6 & V-8). The following procedure supersedes<br />the procedures that are outlined in the workshop manual under “High-Rise Exhaust Elbow Replacement.”<br />Information for replacing the gasket are provided in the Installation Instructions entitled “Exhaust Riser<br />Gasket, V6 and V8” (PN 7742588).<br />NOTE! When replacing this gasket, be sure to follow the directions exactly as described in the Installation<br />Instructions.<br /><br />Hope this helps. muc

Don S

Somehow I missed your earlier serial number. You have an EF model engine/drive package which is a 2000 model, not a 2001. And it's a gray engine, not red, in 2001, they were red.<br />Anyway, there is a complete set of OEM VOLVO manuals (Most you don't need). So I will only give you the 3 (out of the 8) The other manuals have to do with the EFI system and different drives that you don't have.<br />Engine Components... PN 7797353<br />Elect. & Ignition... PN 7797355<br />SX Drive............ PN 3850075

briant10

Cadet

Thanks for the information muc and Don. I will see if I can get those manuals. I did think it was odd that the pdf said "red engine."<br /><br />I've been looking at the diagrams from this website to get my part numbers. (Scroll down and there's the diagrams)<br /><br /> http://volvopentaparts.stemtostern.com/VolvoDiagrams/ShowAssembly.asp?ID=18801 <br /><br />I don't see part # 3863191 though. When I did the heads I did replace #20 on that diagram. Time to turn in, but I'm sure I'll have more ? later. Thanks for your help, Brian

Don S

From your stem to stern links go to the EF model section for your engine.<br /><br />The 3863191 (#14 in your diagram) gaskets are the new style gaskets for your engine, and any of the new Volvo's for that matter. An overheat could burn the inner edges of the gasket and allow water intrusion. Be sure to replace them.<br /><br />Basically you have a 2 part problem, NO start, and overheat. Lets get the no start problem fixed then move to the overheat.<br /><br />You say "It is getting a spark", now I'm not sure what that means or how you are testing for spark.<br />You should just pull the coil wire out of the center of the distributor cap, hold it about 1/2" from a good ground and crank the engine. It should be a bright blue spark continously while cranking.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

I really think the riser gaskets should be replaced before trying to start the engine – water in the cylinders is a very bad thing.<br /><br />Don S is right about the factory manuals -- they can be a big help, trouble is that they are outdated the day they show up at the shop. The only people that have up to date information is a dealer that runs your serial number thru the Volvo Penta Partner Network -- that’s how I came up with part #3863191<br /><br />Also the part number Don S gave for the Elect. & Ignition... PN 7797355 has been updated to 7743244 with a Wiring diagram supplement PN 7743245<br /> I don’t know what the difference is between these two books and the old number that Don S gave you.<br /><br />You really should redo the compression test the way that Don S recommended -- the numbers you posted say the engine failed.<br /><br />Good luck muc

briant10

Cadet

Don, I pulled the center boot from the distributor and put an old spark plug in and held it 1/2 inch from a grounded part of the engine and I got a spark. I also did this for each of the spark plug boots, so I think the spark is getting to the engine.<br /><br />I will order the gaskets and also perform the compression test when I get the tester from my wife's uncle tomorrow. I will do it to the reccomendations in that post Don gave me.<br /><br />Question... The compression test that he did earlier and got those numbers was before I redid the head gasket, etc. Since the mechanic got it to run for about 20 minutes after I had done that work wouldn't that mean that the compression isn't the problem? Just asking, but I will still do the test anyway.<br />Thanks, Brian

Don S

With your old compression readings, it should have run, have to see the new readings to see if maybe you have valve problems or not. Head gaskets are NOT the only thing that can go with an overheat ya know.<br /><br />But lets just say you have the same compression readings. It should still start. <br />Sounds like the spark is not the problem. Have you looked down the carb (engine not running) and operated the throttle to see if gas is squirting out of the accelerator pump jets? If not, do so.