Volvo Penta AQ130C/270 New Alternator not charging system WIRING HELP!

majacman

Cadet
Ok, short history, Rewired entire boat from stem to stern alternator was fried and bought a replacement (I believe this was a Mando type alt) It was bench tested and works fine. The Generator guy even drew a diagram on how to hook it up. I did this and while running it in a water tank I see no charge to the system. Shouldn't I be reading 14+ volts @ the battery while running it? We ran it last year with a used oem alt that went bad i.e. dead battery on the water = no fun. Matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C/270 New Alternator not charging system WIRING HELP!

Without knowing which Mando alternator you have and how your boat is now wired, it's impossible to tell you how it should be hooked up.
Might post a picture of the back of your alternator and we can see what happens. When you rewired the engine, did you stay true to the color codes and design of the OEM wiring?

majacman

Cadet

Without knowing which Mando alternator you have and how your boat is now wired, it's impossible to tell you how it should be hooked up.
Might post a picture of the back of your alternator and we can see what happens. When you rewired the engine, did you stay true to the color codes and design of the OEM wiring?

Yes, I used a replacement wiring harness from a slightly newer boat and stayed true to the OEM wiring. I will post pictures of the little beast tomorrow. BTW i have 1975 Volvo Penta I/O AQ130C/270 sterndrive with a Bayliner TriHull.

Maclin

Admiral

Sometimes an alternator needs to get to 1500 rpm or so to get to 14 volts outpput regulated. I just wanted to be sure you are not just checking at idle speed.

majacman

Cadet

IMG_20120720_111858 (1).jpg

yes we revved it up to 2000 and no change here is picture of alternator. thanks again in advance. matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In my drawing below. The orange wire from terminal B goes to the main battery terminal on the starter solenoid. The orange from B to S terminal is just a sensing wire.

The purple wire in my drawing goes to an ignition wire on the engine that comes from the I terminal of the ignition switch. It can go to the coil + terminal if you do not have any ballast resistor or resistor wire to the coil.

attachment.php
The orange wire to starter should be 8 ga. minimum.

Attachments

• Alt wiring.jpg
    Alt wiring.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 5

majacman

Cadet

Okay, so I wired it, adding the orange sensor wire loop. All the other wires were connected right but still not charging Went boating this weekend and the boat ran like a top, but no charge at all. This engine does have ballast resistor (which is no longer connected because I just used the wire from that to make the sensor loop) Do I take one side of the purple and connect it to the resistor and the other side to the alt (the EXC post)?