Lower unit port side hole above gear oil fill/drain hole 98 Volvo Penta Cobra SX

Jobe_Pro

Cadet
Hello,

I can not find or see this in any manual, or have not seen a post on this, on the port side almost directly above the gear oil fill hole on the upper side of the Gear/shaft housing on the lower unit(fill hole on lower half)I have a small hole about 1/8" which almost looks like a pit in the casting as it looks corroded and has a slight rust like stain formed below it as if liquid had been draining from it over time, but it looks plugged or is not all the way through the housing, if it is a drain hole of some kind its plugged.

I can not see this on any pics of lower units, nor do I see anything mentioned of it in any service manual, anyone know of this?

Worried that if it is a hole forming and fear if so I will loose my bottom end if the oil leaks out at some point and should cover it with weld bond, or Liquid Metal or something for now, but thinking and hoping it actually should be there but has plugged up and needs to be cleaned up but I don't want to touch it until I know for sure!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower unit port side hole above gear oil fill/drain hole 98 Volvo Penta Cobra SX

Post a picture of the hole. It may be just a cavity drain.

Jobe_Pro

Cadet
Re: Lower unit port side hole above gear oil fill/drain hole 98 Volvo Penta Cobra SX

actually I started picking at it carefully around the outside edgesof it, and it definetly is a round vent hole which is plugged and looked more like corroded hole at first, it is above and ahead of the gear oil drain plug and I'm told is a water drain hole, finally found a pic on the net of it, see attached

Cobra SX lower unit vent hole.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that IS the cavity drain hole.