volvo penta DP trim sender

Rixster510

Cadet
I am replacing my trim sender unit. After returning home from the dealer i notice that my old sending unit has 2 wires and the new one has 3. After testing it I am guessing I can just use the 2 wires. Is this going to cause me any issues ? Can i use a hree wire sender on a 2 wire harness ? Sure hope so.

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice
Re: volvo penta DP trim sender

I have a 2002 and noticed when replacing mine the plug accepts 3 wires, but only 2 are coming to the harness from dash.
Go ahead and place the wires into the plug as manual directs you. One has a rib on it; one doesn't.
Before doing so you have to plug in a tester and turn the rubber wheel that installs into the gimbal ring. Mine had to be set to 11 ohms; not for sure if yours is the same or not.
I suggest going to the stickies and researching your outdrive, getting the manual, then the rest is easy.
Good luck!

broomet

Recruit
Hi Don -

On your Volvo Penta link above, it looks as though the pdf on #12 is no longer attached.

12. Replacing and Adjusting SX & DP-S Trim Sender

Both of my trim gauges are not working for my 2 VP DP outdrives (2005). So I was hoping to first do some troubleshooting before just replacing them. But considering the boat is going on 11 years old now and was formerly in salt water before I bought it, my guess is that they have failed.

Thanks,
Tom

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Tom,

Unfourtantely this is a very old post and Don S passed away in 2013.

In regards to your trim senders, it is highly likely they are both dead. The easiest thing to do is hook up a ohm meter to the plug inside the engine compartment and have someone tilt the drive up and down and check for resistance between 8-11ohms or any reading at all