1992 volvo starter trouble.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have just bought a wellcraft excel with a 92 volvo 430 a on a 290 drive and i am having trouble getting it started...when bought first took it for a blast on the lake and all seemed fine apart from the starter which seemed lazy, over the past few weeks i have replaced the starter with a new one but it still turns the engine very slowly and seems to be stressed along with an occasional clicking sound, so i basically cant start the boat as i am afraid i will do damage , any help would be most appreciated

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 volvo starter trouble.

To crank an engine over at full speed, you must have clean tight battery connections. (NO WING NUTS). The cables also have to be in good shape, not all corroded and only a few strands of wire holding the ends on. And don't forget, there are both Positive and Negative cables, check them both and check both ends.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks don will investigate,<br />one other point i have noticed is that although the starter is very similar to a mercruiser starter (had a mercruiser in previous 2 boats) it seems to have one less wire running to it? i.e. three terminals one large in the center and two small ones left and right, whilst taking the old one out i noticed no wire running to the left hand side terminal ?

Don S

Look at the diagram below, terminal D on engines with point distributors used that terminal for full cranking voltage to the coil during starting. After starting, the power to the coil was through a resistor. On your 430, you have an electronic distributor, not points, so the extra voltage isn't needed.<br />On many of the newer model Mercruisers with an electric fuel pump, that D terminal is used to operate the electric fuel pump during engine cranking, Volvo had a different system that did not use that terminal.<br />On your engine, nothing should be attached there.<br /><br /><br />
Start%20Solenoid.png

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks again don, that makes sense to me now, just looking at your diagram above though my starter doesnt have the c terminal but i see you have it blacked out so i will take it that my wiring is fine so !! i am gonna get an auto electrician to replace the leads from both the starter and battery terminals as they are probably coroded as the boat has been used in salt water but will now only be used in fresh water, have replaced manifolds and risers alternator and starter also had new waterpump fitted by previous owner!! would there be anything else i would need to check out??

Don S

Why don't you make your own cables?? Just purchace some properly sized marine cable (Pretinned copper) and some crimp type ring terminals. Cut the cables to the proper length and have the ends crimped on if you don't have a crimper. Then solder the connections and put heat shrink tubing over the ends.<br />I've always found auto mechanics like to use minimum size wire, never solder and never heat shrink the connections. They usually don't understand marine differences.<br />If you have the batteries within about 6 feet of the engine, 4ga wire should work fine, or even 2 ga. Then all your power gets to the starter and doesn't just get turned into heat in the cable.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good don...will give it a go although electrics has never been my strong point have to agree with you though regular mechanics dont seem to grasp the marine end of things, and decent marine mechanics are a very rare breed in this country, will have a look and trace the cables back from the starter as at a glance today they seemed to disappear into the loom.<br />i also noticed that the cables were very hot when i took the old starter off after having tried to turn the engine for a couple of minutes, so sounds like they are the main source of the problem...will let you know how i get on . looks like another saturday spent under the engine ??

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yippeeee....fired her up today, new earth cable and a fully charged battery worked a treat ...thanks guys i owe you one ...cheers.