Spark plug wiring order for distributor cap - 5.0 glpwtr

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced the cap, rotor and wires today - thought I did it one for one lined up with the old cap but it won't start and sounds like its mis-firing the order when the starter engages. Can anyone tell me where to find the plug wiring order for the dizzy? I've looked all through the VP section and can't find it as well as the service manuals -
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark plug wiring order for distributor cap - 5.0 glpwtr

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Rotor turns clockwise.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Rotor turns clockwise.

Thanks Don- I was a little nervous and wasn't "googling" very well- found this as well. Back up and running.....

Attachments

• firingorder.jpg
    firingorder.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 40

Don S

The only thing you have to be careful of is finding #1. if you aren't sure where it is, you need to find #1 TDC on the COMPRESSION STROKE, not the exhaust stroke, and look at where the rotor is pointing.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only thing you have to be careful of is finding #1. if you aren't sure where it is, you need to find #1 TDC on the COMPRESSION STROKE, not the exhaust stroke, and look at where the rotor is pointing.

Well that brings up another question - this is what I did during the install. When I pulled the original cap I installed the new rotor in the same position as the old. I then took the cap with all the plug wires in place and laid it on the garage floor. I then set up my new cap and wires (so I thought) as a mirror image as to the original- I could not locate a marking or stamping on the cap to tell me which way to orient it so I just took a guess. I then installed the new cap and wires and tried to fire up the engine- that's when I ran into issues.

I then came back inside and found the correct firing order you sent plus the image. Leaving the cap on the dizzy, I pulled all the wires and started from scratch reinstalling the wires according to the aforementioned diagram. The boat started right up and idled and rev'd beautifully.

So, I either screwed up the path of the wiring as compared to the original or I started with my distributor cap rotated 180 degrees vs the original, thereby putting numbers 1 and 8 where numbers 5 and 6 should have been. Then I attempted to start the engine several times. Does that mean my rotor is now oriented the wrong way or when I pulled all the wires and started over again does that essentially reset the orientation of the cap? I probably missed some stamping on the cap somewhere.....

The engine sounds like its running great - should I pull the cap off, look again for a stamping for the #1 cylinder, find TDC of the compression stroke and start over or am I good to go since it sounds like (on muffs) its running great?

thanks again Don

Don S

If you had the cap or wires on 180 out, it wouldn't run. If it runs ok, then you have #1 right, if you have a miss, you may have a couple crossed, just check the firing order.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you had the cap or wires on 180 out, it wouldn't run. If it runs ok, then you have #1 right, if you have a miss, you may have a couple crossed, just check the firing order.

Thanks again Don- it runs great so I must be ok.