Water pump options for a volvo penta 270?

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys its been a long time but its cause ive started a new job so i was getting ready to take the boat out doing my prep list and everything was ok.

So i started her up on muffs (yes water was flowing and correctly placed) Ran for a while was checking over the engine when suddenly i noticed smoke coming from the external water pump, that pumps for the leg. So now im assuming that means water pump repair or replace but i KNOW nothing about the leg or this pump as the set up is a merc 140 + a VP 270 leg. what options do i have. Is there and impeller in the leg or what im confused and was hoping i could avoid any parts on the leg for a year or two. But i know thats not an option now.

Thanks here is all the info i have

1972 merc 140
???? Volvo 270-280? S/N is belived to be 2783419. B?
with Engine mounted water pump.

Thanks again

Ryan

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water pump options for a volvo penta 270?

Ok so upon better reserch i have learned to to be 275/275A if that helps

Thanks Ryan

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Hi guys its been a long time but its cause ive started a new job so i was getting ready to take the boat out doing my prep list and everything was ok.

So i started her up on muffs (yes water was flowing and correctly placed) Ran for a while was checking over the engine when suddenly i noticed smoke coming from the external water pump, that pumps for the leg. So now im assuming that means water pump repair or replace but i KNOW nothing about the leg or this pump as the set up is a merc 140 + a VP 270 leg. what options do i have. Is there and impeller in the leg or what im confused and was hoping i could avoid any parts on the leg for a year or two. But i know thats not an option now.

Thanks here is all the info i have

1972 merc 140
???? Volvo 270-280? S/N is belived to be 2783419. B?
with Engine mounted water pump.

Thanks again

Ryan

No impeller in any Volvo outdrive. On a typical Volvo, there is an engine mounted raw water pump that draws water from the drive, and on most (not all) a circulator pump on the engine. Take pictures of what we're working on here. It's hard enough to remember every detail of a factory setup, and even worse since your setup is cobbled together.

The other thing I will say is to check the connection at your drive. Where the rubber hose from the transom shield meets the drive, there is a gizmo that the hose attaches to (looks almost like a small T-stat housing) on the drive. That guy rots out within the hose, and will cause the pump to suck air.

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

will do ill go take some pictures and check that part. Thanks Ryan

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok here are some pics. I checked that part out but it seams relativly new also i checked the fitting at the pump and the hose clamp had fallen loose so ill check that out to see if thats the problem but the pump is still really hot an its been like 30 min? here are the picsResizedImage_1342218017624.jpgResizedImage_1342218037357.jpgResizedImage_1342218047933.jpgResizedImage_1342218055261.jpg

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so i think i found the hose you were talking about that is actualy on the drive it is pretty worn but not the prob the hose clamp was now it is pouring out the back guess it was just a matter of time before the seal broke after the hose clamp fell off well its all fixed ill be pulling the leg and replacing all the hoses on the unit and bellows to bring up to new

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Someone may be able to tell you the make of that pump by looking at it.

As far as the connection I was talking about, it resides outside the boat on the drive. Lift the drive, and look at where the water hose attaches to it on the back side.

The part you need to look at looks like this;
http://www.iboats.com/Hose-connecti...2724123--session_id.670348732--view_id.173338

These corrode around the neck where the water hose attaches, especially in salt water. You should pull the hose off and check the neck.