2002 5.7 Gi-B over heating and whinning high pressure fuel pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Dup

Cadet
I purchased my boat last year and noticed while I was idling for about 30 minutes or more I heard a loud whine and wrote it off as an belt squeal. However, a few episodes later the motor would sputter, stall and die if I didn't feather the throttle. The whinning turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump. I replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and the same problem occurred but the whine was not as loud and the motor did not stall. I also noticed that when the pump was whinning it was very hot.
The HP pump is cooled by the fuel it draws from the vapor reservoir which, has a raw water cooling jacket around it. The water enters from a 1/4" diameter hose to a connection at the bottom of the reservoir and exits out the top to a connection on the Port side exhaust riser. Because the new pump was hot and whinning I decided to check the cooling hoses to be sure they were not kinked or obstructed. I disconnected the hose at the exhaust riser and had my helper start the engine. What happened was cooling water from the exhaust riser shot out of the connection and water from the end of the hose flowed freely from the Vor reservoir cooling jacket.
The water flowing from the hose told me that water was circulating thru the vapor reservoir cooling jacket. Because water was also coming out of the riser hose connection maybe this was creating some resistance when the hose was hooked up to it. So, I plugged the riser connection and let the end of the cooling hose lay towards the bilge and started up the motor. I let it idle for over an hour and the Vapor reservoir remained cool to the touch and the pump was barely warm and never whinned.
My summary is at idle when the raw water pump pressure is low the Vapor reservoir cooling system cannot overcome the the exhaust cooling water pressure and restricts or severely impedes the free flow of water circulation. However, when the engine rpms are up and the raw water pump pressure is increased the system works fine. It's when the engine is idling for extended periods of time and the raw water pump pressure is low seems to be the problem.

Because I do a lot of idling over extended periods of time I am considering plugging off the riser connection and allowing the VR cooling hose to dump overboard through a thru-hull fitting in the transom.

NoExcuses

Seaman
Re: 2002 5.7 Gi-B over heating and whinning high pressure fuel pump.

I would not be satisfied that you have fixed your problem. I recently went through similar steps that you did with my 2003 5.0GXi-E engine, at idle the pump heats up/whines and underway the pump cools off but I have two engines and the other engine high pressure pump does not heat up at idle. I continued to troubleshoot the engine and after checking the pressure on the fuel rail I saw that the pressure was way over specification (pegged the guage at over 100psi, specification is 50-60psi). My buddy suggested that we swap fuel pressure regulators from one engine to the other, this brought the pressure down to 55psi and the pump no longer heats up.

Dave Dup

Cadet

You make a good point. Other threads and replies have talked about checking the screens on the pumps and on the pressure regulator. If they are contaminated that type of restriction will also cause the high pressure pump to increas pressure to get past the obstruction and over heat in the process. My new pump runs at 48psi steady. However, my older pump was at 68-74 psi. I cleaned the screen on the pressure reg valve and the pressure went down to 54psi, but it still whinned at an idle until I discovered the fuel cooling problem. Thanks for the come back.

daedge2

Cadet

I would take the water lines off your fuel pump and make sure that the water reservoir on fuel pump is not plugged mine was, clear it and I have no problems the whine went away and runs good. The best way is take it off engine and look inside the elbows are pressed in the will come out the lower one will be plugged as to the dirt settles down there. This is the cheep way to save you a lot of money.

horizon240

Recruit
Gents, a huge thanks for posting this. You saved me alot of time and money - check out how clogged my VST reservoir was.

Attachments

• VST reservoir.jpg
    VST reservoir.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.