No power to the coil on 1995 5.8 liter volvo penta.

Moody

Recruit
I have a 1995 volvo penta 5.8 liter engine in my boat. I have no power to the coil. I have check the kill switch and it is fine. I have also checked all fuses and all resets. any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No power to the coil on 1995 5.8 liter volvo penta.

Check the ignition switch.
If you are checking things by just looking at them, your wasting your time. Use a meter, then you know for sure.

Moody

Recruit

Check the ignition switch.
If you are checking things by just looking at them, your wasting your time. Use a meter, then you know for sure.

Don,
I have checked with a meter at the coil only getting .5vdc while the engine was cranking.

Moody

Recruit

I have checked with a meter, I am only getting 05 vdc while cranking the engine.

Don S

Are you checking voltage by using your red meter test lead on the + terminal of the coil, and the black meter test lead on a good ground?
you do not test with the meter on the + and - terminals of the coil.

Next thing to do is start at the ignition switch and check for power on the purple wire and find out where you loose power.

Moody

Recruit

I am testing from the purple wire to the coil and red lead is connected to the purple wire going to the coil and the black lead is going to the - post on the battery. The engine is cranking so the ignition switch is working and I have checked continuty on the kill switch and there is power going through the kill switch. Where else could I be loosing the power.

Don S

The engine is cranking so the ignition switch is working

The cranking section is a different section of the switch than the ignition. The cranking works, so you know the yellow/red wire on your switch works, you need to check the purple wire on the switch.