Volvo Penta 5.7- weak/no Spark so replaced plug -coil- new batts- distrib reg. ideas?

Hey guy's, I have a 1997 Regal with Vovlo penta I/O 5.7 v8. I have tried to find answers in the forum, yet I finally signed up so as to give my history in hopes of an answer.

I gave the boat a tune-up of 2 new battery's a new starter and new plugs 7 months ago.Since it had been sitting and needed it. Ran fine around the canal and full speed.

Then it sat from October to December when I went to start it it cranked for almost a minute, only after letting off the key did it fire up like a late spark kicked after key was turned off. I managed it for the night to show kids the Christmas lights.

2 months later tried to start again and it did the same hard start and this time backfiring while lowered from dock, and filled the engine pistons with water!

Dried everything out for a month, and since i have always noticed the coil pack has always been swollen and rusty, I changed it. I still got a random weak spark. Then no spark at all.

No I have no spark at all.

I have 12 volts going to coil.

I changed the ignition module under the distributor. after reading forums on this being the second option after coil pack.

I am trying to test coil pack to see if the back fire hurt it??

All of the fuses and breakers inside and outside engine bay seem to be fine ( not popped)

Battery's are strong and me and my dad are on the verge of calling a mechanic.

We ordered a manual and it was no help.

Any Ideas???? Thanks -Q

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7- weak/no Spark so replaced plug -coil- new batts- distrib reg. id

What is the full model number of your engine (All those letters after the 5.7) or the serial number.

Re: Volvo Penta 5.7- weak/no Spark so replaced plug -coil- new batts- distrib reg. id

What is the full model number of your engine (All those letters after the 5.7) or the serial number.

Thanks for the reply Don. I went and recovered the engine specs from the boat today.

Here are the engine specs.

Volvo/Penta 5.7GLI PLKDCE

(NUMBERS BELOW )

4110152585-3868702

TRANSOM SX-C1

Thank you for any ideas and sorry for the late reply. -Q