Volvo Penta 5.7L GSi PEFS surging/stalling at idle.

Menard666

Cadet
Hey guys,

I need some help here. I have access to the Rinda Diacom software for further information.

Have a 2000 Four Winns 210 Horizon with a Volvo Penta 5.7L GSi PEFS and SX-M sterndrive with 410 hours on it. This has the MEFI-3 ECM.

The problem I have is that it surges and stalls at idle. It runs great everywhere off of idle. I have changed the IAC, the coolant temp sensor, the fuel filter/water separator and the thermostat with no change. I have the Diacom software but not much knowledge in using it. Are there base values I can compare my data with somewhere? I have recorded live data of the engine at idle.

I also noticed that one of the injectors is visibly spraying more fuel than the other at idle. Is that normal? I have run two tanks of fuel through the boat since I've owned it, with injector cleaner in both tanks.

I'm willing to get the info anyone may need to help me diagnose my issue. Would really appreciate some help/insight.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7L GSi PEFS surging/stalling at idle.

I too have a 5.7gsi pefs. I had my air breather off yesterday and was watching the injectors at idle, it really seemed to me that both injectors were spraying the same amounts.

Menard666

Cadet

I'll have to dig further into the injector troubleshooting. My injector numbers are GM part# 25170301-ACR with Black/Yellow markings and are apparently no long available. They are definitely not spraying the same amount at idle, which can visually be seen. I'm going to do some more sensor tests tomorrow but from what I can see most everything is within range.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have an ohm meter I'd make sure you are getting the same amount of juice to the injectors. Even eaiser, if they are the same part# you can switch them around and see if the issue is tied to a side or a specific injector. As for the discontinuance of the ones you have I am sure there has got to be one that took its place with a different part #. This is the absolute best place for info. If you started a thread wanting to know what the updated part # I can think of a couple guys on here that would know. Keep us updated and good luck!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hey guys,

I need some help here. I have access to the Rinda Diacom software for further information.

Have a 2000 Four Winns 210 Horizon with a Volvo Penta 5.7L GSi PEFS and SX-M sterndrive with 410 hours on it. This has the MEFI-3 ECM.

The problem I have is that it surges and stalls at idle. It runs great everywhere off of idle. I have changed the IAC, the coolant temp sensor, the fuel filter/water separator and the thermostat with no change. I have the Diacom software but not much knowledge in using it. Are there base values I can compare my data with somewhere? I have recorded live data of the engine at idle.

I also noticed that one of the injectors is visibly spraying more fuel than the other at idle. Is that normal? I have run two tanks of fuel through the boat since I've owned it, with injector cleaner in both tanks.

I'm willing to get the info anyone may need to help me diagnose my issue. Would really appreciate some help/insight.

Injector cleaner is probably not going to clean up old injectors. Have them sonically cleaned. In most major city's you can find injector cleaning service..about 25-40 per injector and they should give you a report on how bad or good they were..Its a very simple job

Menard666

Cadet

Pulled the plugs out today, one side of the engine is nice tan brown, the other side of the engine all four plugs look lean. This is on the same side that the injector looked weaker on. I pulled the injectors and swapped them to opposite sides. The spray looks more uniform now, but the problem of surging and stalling at idle remains. It will vary all the way from 400rpm to 1300rpm up and down while at idle in a constant cycle. Fuel pressure is a solid 30psi on the high pressure pump. I haven't checked low pressure, have to add a fitting for that. I may send the injectors out to witchhunter but I am not certain that they are in fact the problem. The boat runs very well everywhere except for idle which really baffles me.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

One bank lean and the other rich...Injectors dont work like that..No local service?

Menard666

Cadet

No, no local service near me, I am in a rural area. I am just going through some recorded data in Diacom. Spark advance is at 8.2 degrees with engine off. Should I be worrying about the .2?

flaMtneer

Cadet

Pulled the plugs out today, one side of the engine is nice tan brown, the other side of the engine all four plugs look lean. This is on the same side that the injector looked weaker on. I pulled the injectors and swapped them to opposite sides. The spray looks more uniform now, but the problem of surging and stalling at idle remains. It will vary all the way from 400rpm to 1300rpm up and down while at idle in a constant cycle. Fuel pressure is a solid 30psi on the high pressure pump. I haven't checked low pressure, have to add a fitting for that. I may send the injectors out to witchhunter but I am not certain that they are in fact the problem. The boat runs very well everywhere except for idle which really baffles me.

I'm very interested in what you ultimately find. Please keep updating. Thanks.
My engine ('99 5.7L GSI) is doing EXACTLY the same thing. It's a long story, but I've had the throttle body rebuilt and injectors cleaned twice this season (second time under warranty) and the IAC valve replaced as well. Boat has been back to mechanic 3 times for same issue and they can't seem to figure it out. Every time I pick it up they say "Ok, got it this time" and it'll work maybe once then start doing this again. Now engine will cycle from high to low RPM at initial startup and will do this at a very regular frequency for several minutes and then quiet down. Other than that engine runs perfect. Yesterday had boat out all day and same issue on initial startup then fine...then trailered boat home, cleaned, etc and started engine on hose in driveway - engine had been sitting for over 4 hours - started PERFECT, idled PERFECT. Temp guage was showing cold so I know motor wasn't still warm. Anyway - I'm baffled and I think mechanic is too so I'm going to run it like this and research solutions 'til I have something else to try.
PS: When I tood the boat back after the first TB rebuild, the tech told me that one of the injectors was dumping too much fuel and 1/2 the engine was running rich...leading to the second rebuild. Oddly similar to your issue.

Menard666

Cadet

Still working on it. Will keep you updated on progress.

JON NEELEY

Seaman

I read a day or 2 ago a similar symptom in a thread that even tho the code scan didnt show it faulty the oil sensor was bad thus sending bad signals to ecm. Not sure what the oil sensor had to do with surging etc but I guess the ecm does:rolleyes:

Menard666

Cadet

Any link to that post? Sounds interesting.

Menard666

Cadet

I have my idle issue solved. Changed the distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires and it fixed the idle issue altogether. Now on to other problems.

flaMtneer

Cadet

I have my idle issue solved. Changed the distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires and it fixed the idle issue altogether. Now on to other problems.

Glad to hear you've got it solved and thanks for the update. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to help my issue. The cap/rotor and plugs are new. The plug wires were replaced about 18 mos ago.