Volvo Penta AQ130C. When I primed the cooling system, oil came out of the exhaust.

Myron3

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and boating. I bought this boat yesterday. Its a 72 Larson tri hull with a Volvo Penta AQ130C with a 270 outdrive.

When I primed the cooling system green oil came out of the exhaust on the outdrive:facepalm:. I have this sinking feeling that this is bad.

Can someone tell me what I got into?

As I have not gotten a owners manual yet, is there a place to check the oil in the engine inside the engine compartment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Myron

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C. When I primed the cooling system, oil came out of the exhaust

When I primed the cooling system green oil came out of the exhaust on the outdrive. I have this sinking feeling that this is bad.

Why, How are you priming the cooling system? Are you sure that wasn't anti freeze that came out of the exhaust, and not oil? The engine may have been winterized with antifreeze in the cooling system for protection.

As I have not gotten a owners manual yet, is there a place to check the oil in the engine inside the engine compartment?

You aren't really mechanically inclined are you? You check the engine oil with the dipstick, just like on a car.

If you want an owners manual, go to the link below and put in your AQ130C and download one.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Myron3

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C. When I primed the cooling system, oil came out of the exhaust

OK,

First its been a really long week, Yes actually i am mechanically inclined.

Its just this boat experience has been over welming.

Because of where I was standing I could not see the dip stick. Sorry for the dumb question.

As for the green fluid coming out of the exhaust, Its not engine oil obviously. It could be the anti freeze, I am not familiar with the winterization process yet.

As for priming the cooling system, I remove the intake line off the water pump and clamp on the end of a garden hose. when I see water coming out of the exhaust I disconnect the hose and reconnect the intake line.

Is this normal?

Don S

As for priming the cooling system, I remove the intake line off the water pump and clamp on the end of a garden hose. when I see water coming out of the exhaust I disconnect the hose and reconnect the intake line.

Is this normal?

Well it's normal for water to come out of the exhaust, but it's not normal for people to "prime" the cooling system like that.

Download the 130C owners manual and read it before you do anything else.

Myron3

Cadet

I tried to download the manual but apparently I haven't found the serial number. And entering the motor data isn't working either. I'll keep trying though.

Thank you for help.

Myron3

Cadet

After figuring out the correct info, I finally got the manual downloaded. On some parts of the engine some parts are different, alternator and fuel pump I think. The dash dash board has also been reconfigured. It looks like it is all there just a little different.

Thanks again for your help,

Myron.

leakywire

Cadet

You need to first determine if you have a closed cooling system or the style where sea water passes thru the engine, if you look at some of the 4cyl volvo pictures there is a squarish tank on the front of the engine which is the closed style where seawater passes thru this box but not into the actual engine cooling passages. Once you spend some time looking at the view Don is trying to send you you will know what you have and if you need to proceed to test for a failed head gasket.

Don S

After figuring out the correct info, I finally got the manual downloaded. On some parts of the engine some parts are different, alternator and fuel pump I think. The dash dash board has also been reconfigured. It looks like it is all there just a little different.

No doubt things are different, it's 40 years old and things have been replaces as the break. Dash board always look different, the boat manufacturer usually make their own, and use the Volvo gauge ans wiring kits.

Myron3

Cadet

Being new to this, I understand that its a big jump. The question is, are there many boats on the water like this? Or was it a jump off a cliff......

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

There are quite a few boats out here with AQ130C engines in them...I have one (rebuilt) in fact in a boat that is over 40 years old and it runs like a top. It's a really good engine when all the other stuff is in good working order...distributor, cooling system, outdrive, fuel system, etc. If you have issues with yours, take them one at a time and ask questions in this forum and chances are very good that someone will help you out with good information. Good luck.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Mine is running great too.:)