Prop Seal on SX Outdrive

NotQuik

Cadet
Hello, I have a Volvo Penta SX Cobra Outdrive which has a leaky prop seal. I've read several threads regarding the repair and am aware of the tool volvo has available but also read of people coming up with their own contraptions. I don't think the housing will be a big deal to remove, i'm more concerned about pressing the bearing in without damaging it although I do have a couple idea's...

Anyway, I was curious if anybody has bought or made a tool to do this and if so could you please post a picture (I've read alot but have yet to find any pics)? I figured this thread may also be helpful for people searching to do the same and would possibly give a clearer perspective on what needs to be made.

Thanks!

Brian

NotQuik

Cadet
Re: Prop Seal on SX Outdrive

For whatever reason, the link is not loading...but i'll keep checking back.

As far as tools are concerned this is all i've found so far.

2011-06-08_204738_sx.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, Don.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The link only takes you to the site to download the manual, it doesn't automatically download.

PS, that picture is NOT an SX drive. You may search and read a lot, but you have to be sure you are at least reading about the right drive.

NotQuik

Cadet

The site comes up blank...as in nothing loads. (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage)

I had a feeling being they used a slide hammer...

On the SX the carrier screws in as opposed to some of the slightly older OMC units which are pressed in (or atleast with some luck and a good tug they can be removed fairly easily), correct? I realize mine is basically during that cross over phase between Volvo and OMC...

BTW, here is where I pulled that from.

http://www.justanswer.com/boat/53sga-1998-volvo-penta-sx-drive-prop-shaft-seal.html

Don S

(Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage)

Not a surprise, It's a wonder IE can find any webpage. I just tried it with IE8 and it comes up fine. Maybe your settings are too tight or something. No one else has problems with it.

Your guy on just answers is also wrong, I can tell by looking at the drive its an SX-A drive, not an SX. The SX-A Just came out in the spring of 2006. Since you called your drive an SX Cobra, I would guess you have one from 2000 or earlier, and they don't come apart like the SX-A does.

Here are some of the pages from the manual showing how to take the carrier out and put it back. It's not complete.
View attachment SX rear seal partial.pdf

Thalasso

Commander

Not a surprise, It's a wonder IE can find any webpage. I just tried it with IE8 and it comes up fine. Maybe your settings are too tight or something. No one else has problems with it.

Your guy on just answers is also wrong, I can tell by looking at the drive its an SX-A drive, not an SX. The SX-A Just came out in the spring of 2006. Since you called your drive an SX Cobra, I would guess you have one from 2000 or earlier, and they don't come apart like the SX-A does.

Here are some of the pages from the manual showing how to take the carrier out and put it back. It's not complete.
View attachment 156394

I checked the webpage and it works just fine for me. Maybe he doesn't realize you have to click on download

NotQuik

Cadet

I was at work earlier and tried on two different computers a few hours apart and neither would load the page, now I'm home and was able to pull it up no problem...so you're right, it must have something to do with IE.

Anyway, that SX Manual definitely puts it into an even clearer perspective. Sadly I ran across another thread where you posted the same link but of course I was at a computer which wouldn't load the page.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=401602

I believe that manual answers all I need for now, thanks again for your help.

Thalasso

Commander

I was at work earlier and tried on two different computers a few hours apart and neither would load the page, now I'm home and was able to pull it up no problem...so you're right, it must have something to do with IE.

Anyway, that SX Manual definitely puts it into an even clearer perspective. Sadly I ran across another thread where you posted the same link but of course I was at a computer which wouldn't load the page.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=401602

I believe that manual answers all I need for now, thanks again for your help.

Maybe the computers at your work are setup so you can't download from web sites

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The computers at my work will not let me on the 4shared website either. I can get on it just fine here at home.

Don S

Guys. come on. This isn't about work computers and who allows downloads, it's about an outdrive repair. Go over to Non Boating Techinical topics if you want to discuss downloading on your work computers. :facepalm: