Almostnormal

Cadet
Hi guys,
I am new here.
Product # 3868395
Type: SX C1
Ratio: 1:66
Serial # 4112018910
I am having problems putting the outdrive in reverse....no reaction then clunk hard in after a delay. The fluid is black and smells burnt. Haven't changed the fluid in a while Doph. Any ideas what could have broke or is breaking? Yes I know i should have stayed up on the fluid no excuses just to many boats to manage. What would you do now?

Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX outdrive reverse problem

The fluid is black and smells burnt.

Do you change the gear lube as recommended, and use the recommended gear lube for that drive?
Does the shift cable push the shift mechanism on the drive all the way into gear?
Slipping will cause the gear lube to smell burned.

Almostnormal

Cadet

Hi Don,

Yes i used the proper gear oil...i just did not ever change it in a long time...i know i blew it
So now i took off the cover and can see that the shifter is not locked up it just won't go high enough to engage reverse. I can operate the reverse manually at the outdrive. so i will try adjust the cable out.

Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it won't adjust enough to get full throw both directions, then you need a new cable.

Yes i used the proper gear oil...i just did not ever change it in 638 hours...i know i blew it

If you haven't changed the gear lube in that amount of time, I guess you also haven't pulled the drive, checked the alignment and GREASED the COUPLER splines either have you? If not, don't be surprised if you loose the coupler. Not a big deal to replace, just pull the drive, remove the engine, remove flywheel cover and there it is.

Almostnormal

Cadet

Don thanks again i now see the cable is cracked/split at the outdrive and needs to be replaced.

Almostnormal

Cadet

Changed out the split cable to an "extreme" teleflex model works great. Also changed the gear oil...and plan to do so again soon...then keeping on recommended schedule. Thanks Don!!!

Mike