Volvo penta 5.0 GL ticking outdrive.... Whats that noise?

98mkiv

Recruit
I have a new sound today on my otherwise very quiet 2007 sx outdrive. In neutral or in drive and regardless of trim position i have a ticking in the outdrive. Have to stand on swim platform or lean over side of boat to hear it. It cannot be heard in the engine bay. Raising engine rpms in neutral results in thie ticking happening at engine speed.

I replaced the prop about 5 hours ago with a new oem (same pn) and greased the shaft, the old one was a
Little tired. Dont think thats it but thought it worth mentioning.

Sorry if this has been already a thread, i am on my droid so it is tough to search.

Any ideas?

98mkiv

Recruit
Re: Volvo penta 5.0 GL ticking outdrive.... Whats that noise?

I have a new sound today on my otherwise very quiet 2007 sx outdrive. In neutral or in drive and regardless of trim position i have a ticking in the outdrive. Have to stand on swim platform or lean over side of boat to hear it. It cannot be heard in the engine bay. Raising engine rpms in neutral results in thie ticking happening at engine speed.

I replaced the prop about 5 hours ago with a new oem (same pn) and greased the shaft, the old one was a
Little tired. Dont think thats it but thought it worth mentioning.

Sorry if this has been already a thread, i am on my droid so it is tough to search.

Any ideas?

Don must be on vacation :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don must be on vacation :(

Or maybe he doesn't have an answer for you.

Try pulling the drive and checking things out.

98mkiv

Recruit

Or maybe he doesn't have an answer for you.

Try pulling the drive and checking things out.

I am on vaca without tools so i cant do it till i return. Just checked the oil and it smells and looks like new and is full so that is good.

I should hit the zerks (need to find'em i am new to vp always had merc) with some lube.

I hand tightened the prop nut, but i think that is not the issue since the niise is happening in neutral.

I guess ill find out whether itis serious if it breaks.... Not the way id prefer :/

bmize10

Recruit
I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue with my Volvo Penta Cobra SX having a loud ticking sound when going forward only. Any answers or findings to your problem ??