1982 Volvo Penta 270 I/O

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Okay everyone got the boat about ready to go, however, I'm lost for words. Of course not knowing when the last time this boat has ran I decided to try to test run it once. Well to my surprise or should I say no surprise given that its been sitting, no start up. It will turn over, I primed it with some gas in the carb but I do not get even a slight go. Which led me to believe I wasn't getting spark. So I pulled the spark plug wire without the plug held it against the block of the motor and nothing. No spark! :(. I also tried testing with test light still nothing. I will need to get the right socket to pull the plugs. I thought I had it but appears to be missing. Hmmm..... odd because that is a very usable socket.

Anyways, what type of things should I be looking for and what items should be tested, along with how to test the items. It will turn over, but I believe there is no spark. Thanks. Any more info you need let me know I will provide it.

Also, can someone provide me the firing order for this motor? It might be that the Original Owner placed wires in wrong spot. I noticed they were labled but I do not know which cylinder is which.

1982 Volvo Penta I/O 270

captmello

Captain
Re: 1982 Volvo Penta 270 I/O

I'd start with the points...

Go to the adults only sticky and click on the volvo info link. In there you can download a service manual.

Once you get it running, plan on a full tune up.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Another question, but first thanks Captmello I will check on points. I will also once that is checked verify the regulator as well. Read some place that could be a culprit and usinh a test light I can determine voltage there if good.

My next question all I know is this motor sits in a 1982 Welcraft 16 footer. Going based on assumptions its original motor so its at least a 1982 Volvo 4cyl. But how do I determine the exact model. I read to look for engine stamp on motor side or top of valve cover. I think there is a stamp on top but Original owner painted over it.

If I take a photo of motor could you guys identify? Also its has a Penta 270 if that helps any. Just wasnt sure if it is a AQ270a, AQ270b, etc.... If I have those numbers right or whatever it is :)

captmello

Captain

Yes, post some pics of the motor. There is also a Block number on the block like B21,B23, etc. That number may help as well.

270 is the outdrive model number.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

20120628_202119_resized_1.jpg20120628_202046_resized_1.jpg20120628_202158_resized_1.jpg

And if you want a front view let me know. That is of the motor.... Just thought this view would be best to identify.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The engine looks like an AQ125A
If you Click Here, you can download an owners manual from Volvo for your engine.

To check for spark, pull the coil wire out of the center of the distributor cap, then hold the wire about 3/8 to 1/2 inch from a good clean ground and crank the engine over. You should get a bright blue white spark that snaps the gap easily. If no spark, with the key on, check for voltage at the + terminal of the coil.
If you have voltage there, check the - terminal. The voltage should jump up and down as the points open and close. If it just stays steady, you need some points and condenser (A tuneup).
Hazards of engines that sit for a long time.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone and Don S your absolutly correct. I managed find that engine embelem on the valve cover today. It was covered up with a mix of grime and old paint. Scraped it off and found the exact numbers AQ125A. So I thanks everyone for your support. I will also look into those items Don S tomorrow if I get time. Will let you know.