Volvo-Penta AQ131A

Markamac

Cadet
Hello all,
I am a first time boat owner. The boat my wife found was a 1987 Baretta 161 SS with an AQ131A Volvo Penta motor and 275A outdrive. I think the motor runs ok, but I was wondering if there are any mods or upgrades a person could do to it to get more power. Of coarse, this is a random thought. I'm weighing keeping this boat with sell and go bigger.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo-Penta AQ131A

welcome!

Nice to see another Baretta owner on this forum.

What kind of numbers are you seeing for speed and RPM's at full speed (WOT)?

Mods...not really. That motor should move your 16 footer okay. Those engines need to be tuned properly.

Markamac

Cadet

welcome!

Nice to see another Baretta owner on this forum.

What kind of numbers are you seeing for speed and RPM's at full speed (WOT)?

Mods...not really. That motor should move your 16 footer okay. Those engines need to be tuned properly.

Thanks, Cap!
When I first was running it, it was a sluggish start. It hadn't been ran in a while, but by the end of the day I was hitting 5,500 on the tach. The speedo doesn't work.

The last time I took it out it took some work to get it to 5,500. This was not my cruising rate. I tried to keep it around 4,500 or so. It also takes a bit to plane out. I was thinking of getting a Sting Ray fin to put on the outdrive.

As I think about it, I moved the trim pin all the way forward. Would that explain the difference in my RPM range? It was set at the center setting when I got it, but I wanted to move it forward to try to get it to plane out better. I don't think it helped.

Mark

Markamac

Cadet

Has anyone had any luck going to an electronic ignition like Hot-spark?

captmello

Captain

5,500 rpm is to high. You should be getting up to about 4800 at WOT (wide open throttle)

I would suggest hooking up an external tach to confirm the boat tach is accurate.

Moving the pin forward should help it plane faster but should also slow you down at speed. I would go back to the center.

Do you know what pitch prop your using? Do you have another prop to try? If your tach is accurate, you are underpropped.

Since the boat is new to you, I would suggest going through everything. If you are mechanically inclined, full tune up, compression test, add a fuel/water seperating filter if you don't have one.

Many here have done electronic conversions. But if your points are adjusted correctly, along with proper timing adjustment , etc, you shouldn't notice any difference. I've been running with points since I got my boat a few years back with no issues. If you want to convert, go ahead. Just make sure you install it correctly.

Markamac

Cadet

Do you know what pitch prop your using? Do you have another prop to try? If your tach is accurate, you are underpropped.

Since the boat is new to you, I would suggest going through everything. If you are mechanically inclined, full tune up, compression test, add a fuel/water seperating filter if you don't have one.

Many here have done electronic conversions. But if your points are adjusted correctly, along with proper timing adjustment , etc, you shouldn't notice any difference. I've been running with points since I got my boat a few years back with no issues. If you want to convert, go ahead. Just make sure you install it correctly.

According to the stamp on the prop 814627 I have a 14x17 prop. What would you recommend I try? I don't have the tools for a compression test, but I check the plugs, points, and timing. They were spot on and in very good shape. I went ahead and filed the points and reset them just in case. I think I still need to check the dwell. This would tell me if the condensor is functioning properly, correct? As far as fuel filter, I can't believe I didn't think to change it as well.I'll look for a water seperator type if it doesn't already have one. I'll see if I can't come up with a second tack just to make sure.

Maclin

Admiral

The dwell percentage or angle tells you how close the points gap is to optimal. Any time you mess with the points you need to check the dwell percentage or angle again and adjust the points gap as needed to get within the specs for the dwell. You also need to check the timing again any time points gap/dwell is changed.