1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GS Raw (Sea) Water Pump Leak

txflood

Cadet
I wanted to ask if there was any way to repair the raw water pump on a 1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GS when it starts to leak on the pulley end. I'm guessing that it just has to be replaced but thought I would run it by you guys. Right now I am seeing a steady drip drip when running and wanted to get this corrected before taking the boat out again.

Here are some pictures of where I think it is leaking toward the pulley side and a view of how the whole thing sits on the engine.

waterPumpLeak.jpg

rawWaterPump.jpg

I have replaced the impeller but that didn't seem to make any difference. I am thinking this is a bearing type of issue and I'm going to have to get the whole pump. It looks like part number 3855778 is the right one for this engine.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GS Raw (Sea) Water Pump Leak

You're right- it's a bearing/seal issue. I went through this just last week. A machine shop might be able to match up and replace them, but Volvo doesn't sell a 'kit' for it. You can double-check the part number at the Volvo site. The new pump will set you back about $300. Grrrr....

Larryrb

Recruit

Perhaps I can help just a little. I've just had the very same thing. Water leak at shaft on the front of the raw water pump. Volvo and Evinrude partnered on this outdrive for a number of years and it was a nice surprise to find the information on their website. A good diagram and part numbers are right there. I went to my local Mercury dealer looking for parts needed for the repair. At first the man at the counter didn't recall the Evinrude involvement, but a little conversation brought it back for him. He went to the same website I'd used. Found the same parts. Also found that he actually had those parts in stock. I left the pump housing with him and he's to call me when the seal is installed. I can handle the job from there.

Go to Evinrude.com

On their home page locate and click on Online Store. You will get a drop down menu

Click on Parts

On the left you will see the word Evinrude and an arrow to give you another drop down menu

Select Stern drive and follow it to your water pump.

Good luck.

txflood

Cadet

Perhaps I can help just a little. I've just had the very same thing. Water leak at shaft on the front of the raw water pump. Volvo and Evinrude partnered on this outdrive for a number of years and it was a nice surprise to find the information on their website. A good diagram and part numbers are right there. I went to my local Mercury dealer looking for parts needed for the repair. At first the man at the counter didn't recall the Evinrude involvement, but a little conversation brought it back for him. He went to the same website I'd used. Found the same parts. Also found that he actually had those parts in stock. I left the pump housing with him and he's to call me when the seal is installed. I can handle the job from there.

Thanks for info. Looking at the pump assembly for my engine which I believe is 3855778 (and has been replaced with 3858847) there appears to be a driveshaft seal 0827247 and O-ring 0955976 on the pulley side of the impeller. I am wondering if that is all I need then to stop the leak. I will pull the part off my boat and take a look.

Does the seal require a dealer to install it then?

Larryrb

Recruit

A new seal should take care of the water leak. Could be a little tricky to get out, considering where it is. However, when we got into mine we also discovered that one of the two bearings inside the pump was also bad. The bearings have to be pressed on and off, so I left this for my dealer to deal with. I have a good relationship with my dealer so was able to remain involved. A call to a local bearing company quickly provided a new (perfect match) bearing. The part numbers found on the Evinrude website made the rest of it easy.

Since we were already so far into this pump, I just had them put a new impeller in too. When all done I have a pump that works like a new one for less than half the cost.