Engine Removal 4.3L Volvo Penta with SX Cobra outdrive 96/97 model

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 97 Chris Craft 170 Concept with the 4.3L Volvo Penta setup and the SX Cobra outdrive.

Engine has always ran well and never given me troubles except when the seawater impellar gave out and I overheated it and burned the exhaust boots many years ago.

But I've got water getting into the boat and I may need to pull the engine to find it. I know of a couple spots that are hoses that are leaking. The boat has two deck overflow tubes under the back seat that are supposed to allow water from the deck/floor to run out the back of the boat. Well, the starboard side hose has a tear in it I believe and water is coming in through the stern dump hole (because they are below the water line for some dumb reason and the rubber flapper only does so much to keep the water out). The other is a hose down near the bottom of the stern that I believe to be an intake line for the live well on the port side. There may also be some water getting in around the transom, so I'm going to inspect it when I pull the motor.

So I bought a Seloc manual from here on iboats and it came in last week. Buzzing through the manual, the engine removal process looks pretty easy. Only problem I see is that it states that there should be 4 engine mounts and that is essentially all you have to disconnect (aside from wiring, cables, and exhaust risers). Basically, nowhere that I read did it mention unbolting a bellhousing or flexplate/flywheel bolts. Is there nothing really attaching the motor to the transom plate other than possibly a driveshaft sticking into the flywheel/flexplate?

I've never so much as seen an inboard boat motor out of a boat, so if someone could post some pictures of the back of the block and inside the boat with the motor out so I know what I'm looking for, that would be a big help.

Right now the boat takes in water while we are sitting around in the river, but the bilge pump is keeping up with it. I just don't want to get out there and keep taking on water and the bilge decide to go out. Supposedly these boats are all composite, so water in the bilge doesn't necessarily hurt/rot the transom, but I've really never found anything to back that up since I've never pulled the motor and checked for myself. My parents bought the boat new in 1997 and its been a great little ski boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Removal 4.3L Volvo Penta with SX Cobra outdrive 96/97 model

First, remove the outdrive. Then remove the lag bolts holding the front mounts to the stringers, then on the back of the engine remove the two nuts and large flat washers that holds the flywheel cover to the transom shield.
Here is a link to some R&R instructions. http://www.4shared.com/office/Efzr2v6g/Remove_Replace.html

Untitled1.jpg