Neutra-salt flushing system

MotorheadTed

Seaman
After reading what I could find on this and other sites, I went ahead and installed the Neutra-salt system on my VP 430B engine. What I'm wondering is there anyone on this site that has had long term expierence with the system and does it provide the internal engine protection against salt water corrosion as advertised ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Neutra-salt flushing system

I installed one on my 260 with new exhaust manifolds and risers, only used in salt water, and after 5 years the manifolds and risers looked almost new. Very little erosion of the water passages at the gasket surface. (That's where they fail first)

MotorheadTed

Seaman

Thanks, Don, that's good to hear ! Have you used only the neutra-salt solution, or have you tried/used some of the other solutions on the market?

Don S

I used the Neutra salt to start with, but the shop stopped stocking it sense they already sold Salt-Away, and Salt-Away was something a lot of people in the area knew and used. So I did too. Did the same thing, just a different color.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Based on the description of how it operates (only on a running engine), and you guys' experience in setting up the system, would it be feasible to install a single system to feed both of my engines? Would I just need to tee the line from the neutra-salt tank and install a second sea water inlet tee fitting (though I suppose getting a second fitting could be a problem)?

Don S

One for each engine. There is no way each engine would pull the same amount out of a single one. One engine would probably get all, the other none.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

One for each engine. There is no way each engine would pull the same amount out of a single one. One engine would probably get all, the other none.

My thought was to run and treat one engine at a time, not both at once. The solution would be drawn into the running engine, no?

MotorheadTed

Seaman

John; yeah, that should work. Feed the hose downstream of the electro-valve to a selector valve with the outputs plumbed to the engines.

laconia1997

Cadet

Hi Don, if you had a boat on a lift how would you flush the 8.1 engines without lowering the boat to the water ?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

dont mean to hijack in any way. But is the Neutrasalt system universal for volvo? like can it be used on a 1974 AQ130d?

MotorheadTed

Seaman

Laconia: You wouldn't !

Bayliner: it will work on any inboard or I/O that you can access the engine cooling raw water inlet hose and install a "t" fitting in.
THe system is for saltwater use only !!

Don S

Hi Don, if you had a boat on a lift how would you flush the 8.1 engines without lowering the boat to the water ?

Not enough info to answer, plus, you are hijacking someone elses thread. Just start a new thread of your own, and include some full model numbers or serial numbers of your engine, THEN some answers will be possible.

Don S

dont mean to hijack in any way. But is the Neutrasalt system universal for volvo?

That's all this thread is anymore, is just a bunch of hijacks.

Yes, you could use it on a 130, if you hook it up before the raw water pump.