Fuel Pump on a 2002 Volvo Penta GXI???

Aviator24

Recruit
Just picked my boat up last week from having it winterized. At first (10 minutes) after warming up motor, she ran fine. Then it would only run a low RPMs. Went back to marina and got the mechanic. He went for a test drive and said it was probably my high pressure fuel pump? Bad news was he said that is about a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR repair!! Thing is, after picking up my boat last year, it did the same thing. I ran out all the gas and put in new fresh gas and it ran fine. I asked the mechanic if this could be the problem and he said he doubted it. Anyway, for $300 he said they could drain the gas and put in new and test my theory. I have LITTLE trust with this authoroized Volvo dealer but there are not many others in my area. Any suggestions PLEASE? Should I trust em to replace the fuel pump for $1000 if fresh gas is not the solution??? Very frustrating...
Thank You for any replies...

Redpony

Cadet
Re: Fuel Pump on a 2002 Volvo Penta GXI???

Change the fuel pump assembly for $700 yourself. The part includes the high pressure pump. The problem with the GXi models is that the fuel pump assembly's were painted internally and the chips are dislodging and blocking the inlet screens. This seems to be a very common problem.

Aviator24

Recruit

Is this a hard job? My tools are limited as is my mechanical skill. Any way to rebuild the pump or clean it out? I'm a poor college student...

Aviator24

Recruit

Could I clean the screen or see if its clogged???

Redpony

Cadet

If you don't have the technical knowledge, then you may not want to get involved. I would not recommend tearing down the fuel pump assembly unless you have alot of experience. However, if you can get your hands on a maintenance manual from Volvo on the GXi engine, you might be able to read and understand the steps in removing the pump. The tools required are basic: Socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers to remove clamps, etc.